Mayor Rita Ali Speaks Out

Toldyouso
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:09 pm
Toldyouso wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:03 pm
RPlant wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:43 pm

Again, another strawman. Did you forget last year was a pandemic?
In the 77 days since Mayor Ali was sworn in, 10 Black men have been shot to death. 7 people were killed January 1-May 4. We’re well on our way to surpassing the record of 25 homicides (2019). As I’ve pointed out elsewhere, more people in Peoria have died of gunshot wounds in the last two months than have died of Covid.

Or car accidents, or plane crashes in Peoria, what is the point of that reference?
The point is, 10 Black women have had to bury their sons, because their lives don’t matter to Mayor Ali.
RPlant
Reactions:

Toldyouso wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:24 pm
RPlant wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:09 pm
Toldyouso wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:03 pm

In the 77 days since Mayor Ali was sworn in, 10 Black men have been shot to death. 7 people were killed January 1-May 4. We’re well on our way to surpassing the record of 25 homicides (2019). As I’ve pointed out elsewhere, more people in Peoria have died of gunshot wounds in the last two months than have died of Covid.

Or car accidents, or plane crashes in Peoria, what is the point of that reference?
The point is, 10 Black women have had to bury their sons, because their lives don’t matter to Mayor Ali.
And how many in total due to Ardis then, or Maloof, or Grieves. Wow, now there's a strawman.
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
Toldyouso
Reactions:

It seems my count was off by one earlier yesterday (I was using PJStar info), but sadly became correct a few hours later.
10 murdered in Peoria in 77 days.
This has NEVER happened under any other mayor of Peoria.
Mayor Ali, will you give us your plan today?
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Toldyouso wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:38 am It seems my count was off by one earlier yesterday (I was using PJStar info), but sadly became correct a few hours later.
10 murdered in Peoria in 77 days.
This has NEVER happened under any other mayor of Peoria.
Mayor Ali, will you give us your plan today?
Do you have data to support that? Actually, I'll look it up.

Guess what folks, an interview with Mayor Ali is scheduled today on the WMBD list. Shabnam Danesh will be asking questions, not me, though. So watch at 5, 6, 9, or 10 tonight.

Also, State Rep. Jehan Gordon-Booth, Derrick Booth to promote a free Legal Seminar coming up on Saturday. More details later.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

One way to attack this issue, is find out WHY these homicides are taking place. Is it gang wars, drug turf battles? Is it "you disrespected my (insert family or friend name) so I'm coming after you? Is it "you're messing around with my girlfriend/boyfriend, you're going to get a slug? Is it a domestic issue between two people that evolves into murder? Or is it a simple argument that folks can unfortunately only resolve using guns?

Until Peoria police, the community, and leaders have answers, can something be formulated to reduce or stop the shooting
And it's not going to happen in 77 days, or even 6 months.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Found a link to data, even as far back as 1999. There are several links to different years.

There were 23 murders in 2010, where was all this outcry then? (And don't give me the 'whataboutism crap', we comparing apples here) 11 murders in 2017, 22 in 2018, a 100% jump. Anyone remember Ardis speaking out in 2018? (Another report says 17 in 2018, though)
2019 had 21, and 2020 had 9 (Pandemic year)

Seems the only result from the city was the "Don't Shoot" program, along with consistent budget cuts to the police department over some years. But even with the "cop on almost every block" mentality, you'll never stop someone from firing a gun inside a house, or drive-by.

http://www.peoriagov.org/peoria-police- ... map-stats/
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinMH wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:01 am There were 23 murders in 2010, where was all this outcry then? (And don't give me the 'whataboutism crap', we comparing apples here) 11 murders in 2017, 22 in 2018, a 100% jump. Anyone remember Ardis speaking out in 2018? (Another report says 17 in 2018, though)
Outcry from whom? And where? You don't think people were talking about the crime rate in 2010? They are just talking about it now because of the new mayor? Also, Ardis was a horrible mayor, but he is not in office anymore. Talking about him is in fact engaging in whataboutism.
DennisinMH wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:01 am Seems the only result from the city was the "Don't Shoot" program
Shotspotter doesn't count?
Toldyouso
Reactions:

DennisinMH wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:01 am Found a link to data, even as far back as 1999. There are several links to different years.

There were 23 murders in 2010, where was all this outcry then? (And don't give me the 'whataboutism crap', we comparing apples here) 11 murders in 2017, 22 in 2018, a 100% jump. Anyone remember Ardis speaking out in 2018? (Another report says 17 in 2018, though)

Seems the only result from the city was the "Don't Shoot" program, along with consistent budget cuts to the police department over some years. But even with the "cop on almost every block" mentality, you'll never stop someone from firing a gun inside a house, or drive-by.

http://www.peoriagov.org/peoria-police- ... map-stats/
This source (HOI) lists the 25 homicide victims of 2019:
https://hoiabc.com/2019/12/31/eleven-re ... from-2019/
Among the victims that year was 4-year-old Jeremiah Ward. There was plenty of discussion about that particularly sad homicide, and yes, Mayor Ardis was highly criticized for allowing that to happen on his watch. There still have not been any arrests in connection with that homicide. It wouldn’t surprise me if that was one of the big reasons Ardis chose not to run for re-election.
Even that year (record number), the murders didn’t happen at the pace they have been these last 2-1/2 months. If nothing changes, and we continue to see a shooting death every 7 or 8 DAYS, we’re on track to end the year with about 40 homicides. I don’t expect Mayor Ali to personally end these killings, but I do expect her to offer a plan. So far, she’s made time to speak publicly about the city’s ballpark and county fair, but not about her plan to end these senseless deaths.
CCubs
Reactions:
Mood:

You make it sound like if Mayor Ali speaks about a plan the killings will stop. It isn't that easy. If it were that simple one of the previous mayors would have stopped it a long time ago. I am sure that Mayor Ali is quite concerned and doing everything she can to stop the ridiculous nonsense. These crimes aren't happening because she became Mayor. They were going to happen no matter who was elected. If someone knows how to stop these killings, Dear God PLEASE step forward. Blaming Mayor Ali is not helping matters.
People don't care how much you know.
They want to know how much you care.
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Another shooting left a juvenile dead, but police have NOT, repeat, NOT ruled it as a homicide. It happened near West Seibold. This is as of 3:23 pm today.