Civic Center

kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

The Civic Center announced that if they don't get about $3.8 million in funding in the next 60 days they will have to close for good. Kind of sad if that happens with all the money that has been poured into it over the decades. Maybe they could start a Go Fund Me page or hold a bake sale. Maybe Saint Francis will buy it.
I'm sure the HRA tax won't go away, though. Those $$ will get funneled into the general fund so the council has an open checkbook again and can make more stupid investment like the downtown post office which is on its hitlist.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
CCubs
Reactions:
Mood:

Maybe you could help bail them out with all of the money you are making off of Donnie's stock market sucksays.
People don't care how much you know.
They want to know how much you care.
RPlant
Reactions:

So who or what entity actually "owns" the Civic Center? I think they are a separate unit of government?, but there should be an underwriting entity like the County or City that allowed for their creation and would ultimately take receivership if they failed.

Due to state guidelines of 50 or fewer people, the Civic Center has not been able to open their doors. Edgar says for every dollar spent at the Civic Center, $11 is spent in the community.

“We’re already seeing some restaurants, hotels close because we’re not open… it’s a very challenging time to be a downtown business without us being able to help supply business opportunity.”
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

The City of Peoria owns it. A separate company manages it. Before COVID hit, it was starting to get better at bringing in more concerts that were well attended.

My SIL who is a BU season ticket buyer for the men's games, thinks that EP will decide to build an arena and lure Bradley over to their side of the river.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
NoTime
Reactions:
Mood:

If Bradley men leave the PCC, I think it would have to be an insane sweetheart deal to beat the “free” rent and much better student atmosphere from RenCo.

It stinks, because I think the program is on a good run, and just turned the corner where the PCC seemed like a good option, again (closer to averaging 8000+)
CCubs
Reactions:
Mood:

I think the Renaissance Coliseum could really be a true "Home Court Advantage " under the right circumstances. Of course the long time season ticket holders would be upset. It wasn't built big enough to begin with and the seats are cheap, but there aren't too many bad sight angles. I think they might be able to add some luxury boxes, but not a lot. It could be for those BIG $penders. They would just have to make the best of the situation at the time.
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

CCubs wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:39 pm Maybe you could help bail them out with all of the money you are making off of Donnie's stock market sucksays.
If the penalty for early withdrawal comes out of their end and a 25% interest rate applies, I'm writing the check, well, never. With everything the city has given them plus got sued over and they still couldn't turn a profit before COVID, it is really hard to shed a tear. All the promises that were made when they built this thing and it has been a bust. I understand most places like this need support from the city, but for 30+ years and almost always deep in the red the pockets are empty.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

Come on, man! Just raise taxes a bit and we can cover it! It's the Illinois way.
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

Just wonder what happens to any business they have contracted there if they close. The Illinois finals of SkillsUSA is to be held their this year which would have packed the place and area hotels for three days in 2021. Wonder if they will get sued?
CCubs
Reactions:
Mood:

Hard to get blood from a turnip.