Social distancing in diners

DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

I'm one of those who isn't afraid to dine in at restaurants since June 26. Every place I've visited has signs up, tables blocked off. Sanitizer available if needed.

Until yesterday. I stopped at a Bartonville diner (not saying name). They didn't have any tables marked off for distancing. So I sat at a table seat that was 6ft from the next table of people. Kept mask on until ordering.

But then 3 men came in, and two sat down at table across aisle from me, about 2-3 ft. None wore masks. One guy sat in chair that was slightly turned toward me. Feeling a bit uncomfortable, I put mask back on until food came. Also seemed while they were waiting for food and drinks, he was staring at me. Maybe not. I know I could have asked to move to a different table, but didn't want those guys to think I was moving because of how they looked. By the way, the skillet breakfast I had there was delicious.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
LovelyRita
Reactions:

I've noticed people be unnecessarily rude too! A lady (unmasked) at Aldi had the "Whaddya gonna do about" scowl plastered on her face as she watched each person with a mask walk by. I've only noticed it among white people, too. BIPOC seem to understand the risk more than Karen and Kyle from Pekin.
๐ŸŒŠ๐ŸŒŠ๐ŸŒŠBLACK LIVES MATTERโœŠ๐ŸปโœŠ๐ŸผโœŠ๐ŸฝโœŠ๐ŸพโœŠ๐Ÿฟ
born2race2win1954!
Reactions:
Mood:

DennisinMH wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 am I'm one of those who isn't afraid to dine in at restaurants since June 26. Every place I've visited has signs up, tables blocked off. Sanitizer available if needed.

Until yesterday. I stopped at a Bartonville diner (not saying name). They didn't have any tables marked off for distancing. So I sat at a table seat that was 6ft from the next table of people. Kept mask on until ordering.

But then 3 men came in, and two sat down at table across aisle from me, about 2-3 ft. None wore masks. One guy sat in chair that was slightly turned toward me. Feeling a bit uncomfortable, I put mask back on until food came. Also seemed while they were waiting for food and drinks, he was staring at me. Maybe not. I know I could have asked to move to a different table, but didn't want those guys to think I was moving because of how they looked. By the way, the skillet breakfast I had there was delicious.
Dennis, did they have outside dining available at that diner in Bartonville?
You only live once, so, live it with gusto!
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

No, they didn't. It's a small parking lot.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
timeforethics
Reactions:

LovelyRita wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:38 am I've noticed people be unnecessarily rude too! A lady (unmasked) at Aldi had the "Whaddya gonna do about" scowl plastered on her face as she watched each person with a mask walk by. I've only noticed it among white people, too. BIPOC seem to understand the risk more than Karen and Kyle from Pekin.
Karen and Kyle from Pekin. Let's make the pandemic into a racial issue. You just can't help yourself can you???
CCubs
Reactions:
Mood:

I personally just dont see the need to dine inside. Outdoor seating, carry out, drive through and delivery is available. Sitting inside eating at a restaurant goes against everything we are being told by the health experts. I enjoy going out to restaurants and bars as much as anyone, but I can wait until it is deemed safe to do so. I wont criticize anyone for doing it, but I sure wont be doing it anytime soon. I can wait, I would like to go out again for the next 20-30 years. If I have to wait another year to do so, I will.

I guess everyone has their own opinion and this is mine. When long time health experts with the whole country's health at stake say something is unsafe, I'm going to believe them. Asking to (1) wear a face mask,(2) social distance, and (3) wash your hands doesn't seem that hard to do, compare to the consequences that could occur if we don't.
People don't care how much you know.
They want to know how much you care.
LovelyRita
Reactions:

Poll: Who always wears a mask in publicโ€”and who doesn't?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... g-consult/
๐ŸŒŠ๐ŸŒŠ๐ŸŒŠBLACK LIVES MATTERโœŠ๐ŸปโœŠ๐ŸผโœŠ๐ŸฝโœŠ๐ŸพโœŠ๐Ÿฟ
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

CCubs wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:58 pm I personally just dont see the need to dine inside. Outdoor seating, carry out, drive through and delivery is available. Sitting inside eating at a restaurant goes against everything we are being told by the health experts. I enjoy going out to restaurants and bars as much as anyone, but I can wait until it is deemed safe to do so. I wont criticize anyone for doing it, but I sure wont be doing it anytime soon. I can wait, I would like to go out again for the next 20-30 years. If I have to wait another year to do so, I will.

I guess everyone has their own opinion and this is mine. When long time health experts with the whole country's health at stake say something is unsafe, I'm going to believe them. Asking to (1) wear a face mask,(2) social distance, and (3) wash your hands doesn't seem that hard to do, compare to the consequences that could occur if we don't.
This is why if I am going to dine indoors I usually go at off hours like 2:30 in the afternoon or 8 pm at night. If I order "to go" I usually go to a park or somewhere besides home to eat it.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Additional thoughts:

1. Some places that now have dine-in, have closed up their outdoor seating. Mel's in East Peoria is one of them. But I'm sure there are plenty others. Last time I drove by, Applebee's in Pekin still had a tent set up. Ironically, some fast food places like Taco Bell and Arby's still only do drive thru. Maybe it's because it would be too hard to arrange tables for social distancing.

2. I didn't want to.say initially, but the men sat down at table next to me were African American, but they were older, like my age.

3. Yesterday I had breakfast at an EP diner (not Mel's), where it was another case of no tables Xed out for distancing, and waitresses didn't wear masks. Fortunately I never had anyone sit close to me.

Kev, my wife is also not wanting to dine indoors just yet.
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

DennisinMH wrote: โ†‘Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:24 am
2. I didn't want to.say initially, but the men sat down at table next to me were African American, but they were older, like my age.

Is that the reason you didn't change tables then?