My tomato plants are under attack!

Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

All,
First time veggie gardener here. One of my tomato plants was doing GREAT until the attached picture started happening. Goggle is all over the place on the issue. What gives?!!?!?
LovelyRita
Reactions:

Oh no! Most of my tomatoes got too much water last week and are yellow. Can you see bugs?

I've had good success with insecticidal soup... There are a recipes online.
🌊🌊🌊BLACK LIVES MATTER✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

I am having a hard time knowing when to water? My pepper plants start to wilt when they need water so I know when they need it but my tomato plants don't. What I've been doing it just feeling the soil. If it doesn't feel damp, I water. --- Could I be over-watering them!?
LovelyRita
Reactions:

Definitely... Especially with the rain we had last week. I lost all my green beans because my pots didn't drain well enough. It gets hard with tomatoes in containers this time of year because of the intense heat. But blossom end rot it a problem too... The fruit will have brown rotten spots in the bottom.

This is one of my sad bean plants!

Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

No blossom end rot yet.

Is there anyway to save the yellowing plant!?!
LovelyRita
Reactions:

It would depend on the condition of the roots. If they're good and strong, she might live. You can try this:

https://readytodiy.com/how-to-save-an-o ... lant-0052/

But, honestly, you may have more luck at a farmstand. My luck with tomatoes in containers (5 gallon buckets are good) has been very hit and miss. This year my pepper plants are pathetic too! This crazy weather!
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

LovelyRita wrote: ↑Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:50 am It would depend on the condition of the roots. If they're good and strong, she might live. You can try this:

https://readytodiy.com/how-to-save-an-o ... lant-0052/

But, honestly, you may have more luck at a farmstand. My luck with tomatoes in containers (5 gallon buckets are good) has been very hit and miss. This year my pepper plants are pathetic too! This crazy weather!
my green peppers are thriving! I pulled one off the plant the other day for a salad :D
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

Pock wrote: ↑Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:19 am All,
First time veggie gardener here. One of my tomato plants was doing GREAT until the attached picture started happening. Goggle is all over the place on the issue. What gives?!!?!?
I'm looking at your plant and pot. I think part of your problem is your plant has outgrown your pot. As LovelyRita mentioned "5 gallon" buckets. Part of the problem that your roots no longer have anywhere to go to find additional nutrients to support its growth and upcoming fruit like it would in a garden. I would take a five gallon bucket (need one I've got plenty) drill holes in the bottom. Mix together some rocks about the size of marbles with dirt and fill it about 2/3 full. Add some potting soil. Transfer the plant but pull apart the dirt and roots so the roots aren't all bound up. Fill with potting soil. Add water. The rocks do three things. Weight it down so as your plant grows it won't get top heavy and fall over in windstorms. It helps water to flow through to prevent over watering. It keeps the roots from being so bound to each other. On super hot sunny days, you might also want to move it out of the direct afternoon sun. All the extra sun may help them ripen faster but it also has the plant working double time trying to sustain itself.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

kevwr1962 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:14 pm
Pock wrote: ↑Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:19 am All,
I'm looking at your plant and pot. I think part of your problem is your plant has outgrown your pot. As LovelyRita mentioned "5 gallon" buckets. Part of the problem that your roots no longer have anywhere to go to find additional nutrients to support its growth and upcoming fruit like it would in a garden. I would take a five gallon bucket (need one I've got plenty) drill holes in the bottom. Mix together some rocks about the size of marbles with dirt and fill it about 2/3 full. Add some potting soil. Transfer the plant but pull apart the dirt and roots so the roots aren't all bound up. Fill with potting soil. Add water. The rocks do three things. Weight it down so as your plant grows it won't get top heavy and fall over in windstorms. It helps water to flow through to prevent over watering. It keeps the roots from being so bound to each other. On super hot sunny days, you might also want to move it out of the direct afternoon sun. All the extra sun may help them ripen faster but it also has the plant working double time trying to sustain itself.
Thank you for this! This is my first time trying to grow food lol. I have begun to draw out on paper the layout of my garden beds next year so I won't be using containers.
JustRight
Reactions:

There are very few insects that bother tomato plants, but there are several diseases. The brown/yellowing leaves are a sign of disease. It could be any one (or more) of several. Repotting it into a larger container, as @kevwr1962 recommends is a GREAT idea. Any stress to the plant (such as being root-bound) makes it more susceptible to diseases.
The good news is, the tomatoes themselves shouldn’t be affected.
Have you had your first BLT yet? πŸ™‚