A ‘messy’, ‘ugly’, and ‘joyful’ church Advent celebration

RPlant
Reactions:

Before it rolls over on the WMBD feed banner, I know some folks would want to pin this story.

A ‘messy’, ‘ugly’, and ‘joyful’ church Advent celebration
https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... lebration/
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. (WMBD) — One pastor wore her Sunday best for service at Hope Church in Bloomington on Dec 12.

Associate Pastor Isaac Simmons made an appearance as Miss Penny Cost for the church’s first Drag Advent service.

“[It’s] everything that I’ve ever aspired or dreamt of in my wildest imagination to be able to do drag in a church and to be surrounded by folks who accept it and celebrate it too,” Simmons said.

Simmons said Penny’s presence serves as LGBT+ representation in the United Methodist Church, which he said is divided right now.

“It’s like a way to say that sacred spaces and these lovely liturgies that we have belong to queer folks too,” Simmons said.

Miss Penny Cost made history as the first LGBT+ candidate for ordained ministry. WMBD previously reported that Penny Cost went viral.

“So I am the first drag queen in the world, reportedly, to be allowed into the ordination process of the United Methodist Church,” Simmons said.

Central Illinois man on path to Church leadership is breaking barriers within the United Methodist Church
The Lead Pastor at Hope Church, Rev. Dr. Jennie Edwards Bertrand, said the drag service was also in response to the firing of an Indiana pastor, Rev. Craig Duke, after he appeared in drag on the HBO show, “We’re Here.”

“Well our prayer statement is that we are a church for absolutely everyone,” Edwards Bertrand said. “And to incorporate drag as an art form into our worship kind of said ‘no, we really mean that.’”

She said that Simmons/Cost has a connection with Rev. Duke, and that over the past week, has received a “fresh round of hate.”

“It gets really hard,” Simmons said. “So back when I was first brought into the like national spotlight, I received a bunch of hate, some threats, and it was just all around badness and sorrow and it was really messy and ugly.”

In response to the negativity, Miss Penny Cost celebrated Advent with a drag performance to close out the service.

“Using the privilege of my voice and my drag here, I think it shows that anyone can be a part of a church if they so choose,” Simmons said. “It changes the narrative, and it re-centers queer folks.”

Edwards Bertrand said the theme of the service was to highlight the messy and ugly parts of life, while also realizing the moments of joy.

“Yes there’s mess, yes there’s hate, there’s injustice. And there’s joy and there’s hope,” she said.

Because "Church can be a drag", literally!?!
https://www.mspennycost.com/#:~:text=Wh ... t%20Church.

You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

WMBD TV is totally not Leftist, though. :roll:
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

Fulfillment of another prophesy.
I will never vote for Kamunism
Tazewell
Reactions:

AV8R wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:26 am Fulfillment of another prophesy.
Yup.
2 Timothy 3

But know this, that in the last days difficult times will come.
For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy,
unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, without gentleness, without love for good,
treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,
holding to a form of godliness, but having denied its power. Keep away from such men as these.
For among them are those who enter into households and take captive weak women weighed down with sins, being led on by various desires,
always learning and never able to come to the full knowledge of the truth.
Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men of depraved mind, disqualified in regard to the faith.
But they will not make further progress, for their folly will be obvious to all, just as theirs was also.
But you followed my teaching, conduct, purpose, faith, patience, love, perseverance,
persecutions, and sufferings, such as happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, and at Lystra. What persecutions I endured, and out of them all the Lord rescued me!
Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.
But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.
But you, continue in the things you learned and became convinced of, knowing from whom you learned them,
and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to make you wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
All Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness,
so that the man of God may be equipped, having been thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 4

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires,
and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.
Crickets so far from Leftist WMBD staff.
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

He’s seeking guidance from Rhu Paul his pastor.
I will never vote for Kamunism
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Maybe because I was having lunch, getting ready for, and now I'm in a hospital outpatient center getting an antibody infusion, not because I was being a "cricket".

I haven't worked since last Tuesday, so I can't and won't comment on what stories they cover. As of today, I'm on vacation until next Monday. ..

How many here wondered or worried about what was happening at their job while on vacation?
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:22 pm Maybe because I was having lunch, getting ready for, and now I'm in a hospital outpatient center getting an antibody infusion, not because I was being a "cricket".

I haven't worked since last Tuesday, so I can't and won't comment on what stories they cover. As of today, I'm on vacation until next Monday. ..

How many here wondered or worried about what was happening at their job while on vacation?
In the time it took you to write this, you could have read the article and crafted a response.

DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Have you ever tried typing on a cell phone with one hand, while other arm is hooked to an IV?

I did read the article. I'm not going to ignore reading news.
Just not going to give you the pleasure of berating me with whatever I write.

You'll have to wait until I am OFF vacation next Monday before I respond to anything involving WMBD.
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:47 pm Have you ever tried typing on a cell phone with one hand, while other arm is hooked to an IV?

I did read the article. I'm not going to ignore reading news.
Just not going to give you the pleasure of berating me with whatever I write.

You'll have to wait until I am OFF vacation next Monday before I respond to anything involving WMBD.
Was your arm hooked to an IV during the other 8 posts you made today?

Berating you, or berating Leftist WMBD?

Vacation?

You have commented in the past on Leftist WMBD stories on your day off.

I think you know that you are stuck on this one. Any answer you give will either denounce your employer, or God's plain teaching on this subject.
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

I only posted on this thread while on IV. I see you check out my other posts, kind of snoopy IMO.

I refuse to be baited or trolled anymore in regard to what my employer does as far as news coverage. Consider yourself on my ignore list until next Monday. Then, IF I have a response, I will let everyone know.