Chicago cop shooting

DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Last night it was reported that the ISP officer found dead in his car on the Dan Ryan expressway died of a self inflicted gun shot. He was not shot at by a thug or gang banger.

https://www.kktv.com/2021/10/03/illinoi ... d-suicide/

In another story, police did arrest a man, (who happened to be Caucasian) for shooting at cars on the expressways. Apparently this was due to a domestic dispute.

https://www.beverlyreview.net/news/comm ... eed4b.html

But others have been charged with other shootings as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox32c ... ooting.amp

Don't know what is driving people to shoot up interstates.
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:37 pm He was not shot at by a thug or gang banger.
Why mention this? Isn't it bad enough that the guy killed himself? You have to use that fact to try and score political points?
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:09 pm
DennisinPeoria wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:37 pm He was not shot at by a thug or gang banger.
Why mention this? Isn't it bad enough that the guy killed himself? You have to use that fact to try and score political points?
Are you implying that he cares about as much as @Toldyouso and the continuous drumming about Chicago shootings?
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:28 am
Tazewell wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:09 pm
Are you implying that he cares about as much as @Toldyouso and the continuous drumming about Chicago shootings?
Another off topic post. Anyway, I think when Dennis made this post, he cared way more about scoring points for his side than he did for a state trooper that tragically took his own life.
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

I'm not downplaying the fact that he took his life. I should have added that when it happened, People (not necessarily those here) usually jump to immediate speculation that he was shot by a thug or a gang banger. I did see these types of comments on other boards.
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:49 am I'm not downplaying the fact that he took his life.
Yes, you did.
DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:49 am People (not necessarily those here) usually jump to immediate speculation that he was shot by a thug or a gang banger.
In this case, it is because the media, which you are part of, reported it that way initially. You don't see many cops getting shot by people who aren't "thugs" or "gang bangers".

https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... condition/

No hint in the original story of it being a possible suicide.
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Probably because no one, including the State police, knew it was a suicide. That's why we have coroners to investigate, determine cause of death. And that can take a couple of days or so. News outlets can only report that he was shot. Period. They cannot say right away it was a homicide or suicide, if they don't know the whole story. The same should apply to people on chat boards. Downstate stations can only report what info is give them by Chicago stations or the AP.
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:18 am Probably because no one, including the State police, knew it was a suicide. That's why we have coroners to investigate, determine cause of death. And that can take a couple of days or so. News outlets can only report that he was shot. Period. They cannot say right away it was a homicide or suicide, if they don't know the whole story. The same should apply to people on chat boards. Downstate stations can only report what info is give them by Chicago stations or the AP.
Here is a novel idea. Withhold reporting on the story until more facts are in. Instead, you in the media rush to get a story out there for the clicks and the ratings.
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Here is a novel idea. Withhold reporting on the story until more facts are in. Instead, you in the media rush to get a story out there for the clicks and the ratings.

I can't totally disagree there, but for public safety, it should be reported In case there's an armed and dangerous suspect out there. But immediately the ISP said there was no public safety danger, so they probably knew something. They just weren't allowed to divulge that info.
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:33 am I can't totally disagree there, but for public safety, it should be reported In case there's an armed and dangerous suspect out there. But immediately the ISP said there was no public safety danger, so they probably knew something. They just weren't allowed to divulge that info.
You should ask your boss then why it was reported so quickly if there was no danger to public safety.