Winter Weather

DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Not much to add, other than I'm off for one more day barring a resurgence of symptoms.

I did start up both cars for a few as they have sat in extreme cold for two days. Cleared off one car. I shoveled one driveway path from car to street before cold got to me. (We have a grassy median down part of driveway)

I have a snowblower, but haven't used it in two years, so didn't bother to try to start it up in -15 wind chill.

Tomorrow will be less wind chill, snowfall will be done. I'll lace up the boots again, get us shoveled out again. Just glad the snow is fluffy, powdery, not heart attack snow.

Gibson daughter expecting as much as 10 inches, Springfield as much as 8-10 inches. Both are able to work virtually tomorrow, as are their husbands.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
RPlant
Reactions:

Ended up only having to tighten the carb gasket rather replace it to get the snow blower back in shape. The Cub Cadet bogged down on the 15" drifts, but still managed to get thru all of it this morning.

What was the official count? I would guess 4 to 6 inches in areas that weren't drifted,
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

RPlant wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:03 am Ended up only having to tighten the carb gasket rather replace it to get the snow blower back in shape. The Cub Cadet bogged down on the 15" drifts, but still managed to get thru all of it this morning.

What was the official count? I would guess 4 to 6 inches in areas that weren't drifted,
had some hellacious drifts up here in the boonies. Got mine cleared with the help of the snow-thrower and then helped two elderly neighbors who were out shoveling. Last night I had to deal with a frozen p-trap in our master bath shower...first time in 14 years living here that's happened. No permanent damage though, a few tea kettles of boiling water and some salt cleared it out eventually. Filled it with RV anti-freeze and we'll use the other shower for the next few days until this polar vortex moves on. All other drains and pipes seem fine.

Ready for spring.
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

And now, to make matters worse, MH city crews are digging up the end of our driveway for a water main break. We were asked if we needed to leave, I said no; but I need to leave at 3 am tomorrow. They're hoping not to have to turn off water. We have plenty of bottled water.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Governor Pritzker issued a disaster declaration

https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... ter-storm/

And I found out that because my wife tested positive last Thursday, I have to extend my quarantine until Saturday. So I masked up, told the crew no hurry on fixing end of driveway, I can't go anywhere until Saturday. (I can work Saturday, but I'm not usually scheduled at Jason's Saturdays)

Our water is back on, but under a boil order. I feel for the crew having to work in these snowy and cold conditions, though.
CCubs
Reactions:
Mood:

This snow was definitely heavier than the past couple of snows, and there was more of it. Sun is very bright today, you can see it melting snow quickly in certain spots. The temperatures are warming up day by day. Weekend temperatures and beyond looking good.
People don't care how much you know.
They want to know how much you care.
RPlant
Reactions:

Air temp is mid-20s. Glad I hit the driveway first thing this AM, I can start to see bare concrete in spots.
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

Looked out my kitchen window this morning and there were deer tracks everywhere in the snow. I know they use my pond for drinking water, and it does have an open spot in the ice where the tank heater is to let oxygen into the fish, but they didn't even get close to it. Odd they were traversing all over the place for as cold as it was last night. Think they'd be hunkered down somewhere. Did have two male cardinals singing their heads off this morning. Red feathers must be warm.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Waited for the sun to shine more, got out to shovel tire paths for cars. 1/8 of driveway is packed down dirt from water main work. Estimate about 5-6 inches of snow on actual driveway. I have 3 days to finish clearing out anything else needed.

My sister picked up milk and drinking water for us after she and her husband got their first vaccine doses today.
Toldyouso
Reactions:

I thought this was interesting
https://week.com/2021/02/16/ameren-illi ... IYlFftAsxY
“Morton operates the largest municipal gas company in Illinois with over 6,000 meters served. Issues in the supply chain from Texas are causing unprecedented natural gas price hikes.

Morton has spent the same amount of money on natural gas in the last five days than they normally do in a whole year.“