Complete Streets in Peoria

DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

A webinar series on a program that started in 2015.

https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... g-streets/
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
RPlant
Reactions:

DennisinMH wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:39 am A webinar series on a program that started in 2015.

https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... g-streets/
I had heard an interesting statistic on Peoria that there was roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of the pavement mileage that wasn't needed. The old subdivision standard required on-street parking on both sides of the road in new developments. Problem is, nobody in new subdivisions parks on the street. They all have 2 to 3 car garages and 4 - 6 car capacity driveways.

Congrats to the City & developers for getting the Code amended to one parking lane and a beefier pavement profile for increased life.
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:14 am https://ti.org/antiplanner/?p=273
Good old Randal "Tool", another hack shilling for the Koch Brother's CATO institute, Sorry folks, the Robert Moses approach was wrong.

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:12 am Good old Randal "Tool", another hack shilling for the Koch Brother's CATO institute, Sorry folks, the Robert Moses approach was wrong.
It is interesting that you attack the man instead of his message. Complete streets is a sham. You can't force people to walk, ride bikes, and take public transit when they want to have the freedom and ease of driving their own car wherever they want. The bureaucrats that push this stuff think they all are smarter than the citizens they work for.
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:39 am
RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:12 am Good old Randal "Tool", another hack shilling for the Koch Brother's CATO institute, Sorry folks, the Robert Moses approach was wrong.
It is interesting that you attack the man instead of his message. Complete streets is a sham. You can't force people to walk, ride bikes, and take public transit when they want to have the freedom and ease of driving their own car wherever they want. The bureaucrats that push this stuff think they all are smarter than the citizens they work for.
So you must be an advocate for an even higher gas tax or VMT to fund your declared freedom.

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:56 am So you must be an advocate for an even higher gas tax or VMT to fund your declared freedom.
I advocate for reductions in wasteful spending so that taxes don't have to be raised any higher. I am against the thousands of boondoggles that central planners dream up every year.

It is not a revenue issue, it is the lack of good stewardship of that revenue that is the problem.
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:59 am
RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:56 am So you must be an advocate for an even higher gas tax or VMT to fund your declared freedom.
I advocate for reductions in wasteful spending so that taxes don't have to be raised any higher. I am against the thousands of boondoggles that central planners dream up every year.

It is not a revenue issue, it is the lack of good stewardship of that revenue that is the problem.
So the Federal gas tax that was raised 4 times under Reagan & Bush Sr and once under Clinton was grossly out of whack back then, but is somehow "just right" 28 years latter. Revenue is EXACTLY the issue my man.

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:06 pm So the Federal gas tax that was raised 4 times under Reagan & Bush Sr and once under Clinton was grossly out of whack back then, but is somehow "just right" 28 years latter. Revenue is EXACTLY the issue my man.
So overspending is not an issue in your opinion?
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:21 pm
RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:06 pm So the Federal gas tax that was raised 4 times under Reagan & Bush Sr and once under Clinton was grossly out of whack back then, but is somehow "just right" 28 years latter. Revenue is EXACTLY the issue my man.
So overspending is not an issue in your opinion?
What does 28 years of Inflation do to the buying power of a $0.19 a gallon Federal Gas Tax when oil has gone from $30 a barrel to $90 (sans the pandemic fluctuations)!?! Come on @Tazewell you know more about the time value of money than that.

#Resistance_is_futile