Peoria makes national news

kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

Where was your mom at 4:45 am?

https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... -shooting/

"oh, she was hangin' out down by the river with 199 of her closest friends. Good thing she got home 'cause I couldn't find the Fruit Loops for breakfast"
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

I'm surprised the crowd wasn't actually 250...200 actually fighting, and 50 capturing it with their cell phones hoping to have a viral video. This is one reason I wish cell phones never had video cameras installed on them.

And I'm a Video Guy.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
JustRight
Reactions:

@DennisinMH said
“We can't expect police to monitor social media posts that advocate future violence.“
Thank you for being the voice of reason! Instead of blaming the cops, can we at least be thankful that some of them likely saved the life of the woman shot in the back?
LovelyRita
Reactions:

I sure as hell HOPE the police monitor social media! Across the nation LEA's monitor social media to help identify potential crimes and criminal activity. It's a well established method.

This is exactly the kind of measures we're talking about when we ask for the police to be demilitarized.

https://www.brennancenter.org/issues/pr ... rveillance

https://www.google.com/amp/s/herald-rev ... d.amp.html
🌊🌊🌊BLACK LIVES MATTER✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

LovelyRita wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:38 am I sure as hell HOPE the police monitor social media! Across the nation LEA's monitor social media to help identify potential crimes and criminal activity. It's a well established method.

This is exactly the kind of measures we're talking about when we ask for the police to be demilitarized.

https://www.brennancenter.org/issues/pr ... rveillance

https://www.google.com/amp/s/herald-rev ... d.amp.html
Whose social media should they be looking at? Yours? Mine? Which other of the 85,000+ residents in Peoria who have social media accounts? How many people do you think that would take everyday? The Decatur schools have 8800 students TOTAL...much easier to monitor than 85000. Do you think the person who shot the woman in the back posted on Twitter "I'm going to shoot some female in the back tonight?" But if people are truly concerned about this, if they do see something on Social media, they should report it.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
LovelyRita
Reactions:

I didn't invent the concept. As you see in the articles I posted, other agencies are using social media to help fight violence. Don't you think cops in Peoria are smart enough to figure it out? You don't have a lot of faith in them, do you?
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

LovelyRita wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 am I didn't invent the concept. As you see in the articles I posted, other agencies are using social media to help fight violence. Don't you think cops in Peoria are smart enough to figure it out? You don't have a lot of faith in them, do you?
I have a lot of faith in the PPD for reasons I will not post here. But to have 5? 10? 15? 20? officers sitting around all day scouring FB, Twitter, SnapChat, TikTok, Instagram, We Are Peoria, etc. hoping to find Bobby posting he is going to steal Twinkies from that gas station up the street? What are they going to do, use facial recognition because he doesn't go by Bobby, he uses Whtsnklvr85. I think their time would be more effective elsewhere.
LovelyRita
Reactions:

I guess that's why you aren't in law enforcement.

The police should use everything at their disposal and it doesn't involve scrolling through Facebook, either. If you think law enforcement isn't already monitoring social media, you're mistaken. People much smarter than you and me have already developed algorithms do the heavy lifting.
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

LovelyRita wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:46 am I guess that's why you aren't in law enforcement.

The police should use everything at their disposal and it doesn't involve scrolling through Facebook, either. If you think law enforcement isn't already monitoring social media, you're mistaken. People much smarter than you and me have already developed algorithms do the heavy lifting.
You should be. You spend so much time online, you could track down every criminal in Peoria
LovelyRita
Reactions:

Nah. I'm more inclined to find the racists living and teaching amongst us. 🤣

Seriously though, this is the type of stuff successful law enforcement agencies are doing. I'd be curious to know what LEA around here is doing with social media. This area is always about 15 years behind the times.
Last edited by LovelyRita on Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.