Smoker help ?

kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

RPlant wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:53 am Started the second smoke this morning. I know, "first world problem", but the ash clean out lever was stuck when I went to get it started. We're doing a larger pork roast that is supposed take 10 to 12 hours. So at 6:30am I'm digging out a hammer and chisel to persuade it to open. Maybe I missed a step on the cool down procedure, but it sure read to me that I was supposed to leave the ash clean out alone during shutdown.
Even if it didn't say to leave the ash try, I do. Who wants to deal with hot ashes? It isn't that big of a deal, but it is easier to just dump them in the garbage can a few days later.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
RPlant
Reactions:

kevwr1962 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:27 pm
RPlant wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:53 am Started the second smoke this morning. I know, "first world problem", but the ash clean out lever was stuck when I went to get it started. We're doing a larger pork roast that is supposed take 10 to 12 hours. So at 6:30am I'm digging out a hammer and chisel to persuade it to open. Maybe I missed a step on the cool down procedure, but it sure read to me that I was supposed to leave the ash clean out alone during shutdown.
Even if it didn't say to leave the ash try, I do. Who wants to deal with hot ashes? It isn't that big of a deal, but it is easier to just dump them in the garbage can a few days later.
We're 8.5 hours into the smoke now. A few taps on the pull lever and it released, more of the pain to deal with it at 6:30 am. I had to take everything out to get at it, but honestly two taps and it was fine.
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
RPlant
Reactions:

DennisinMH wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:50 pm Every year, I swear this is the year I'm going to cook some actual spare ribs on my Weber charcoal grill. Even if it takes 3 hours. Actual pork ribs, not babyback ribs.

Hasn't happened yet. Don't know if I'd want to invest in a smoker like the ones mentioned here.
I'm honestly still on the fence about it. You need to block out a good chunk of time. Seriously, by weight this roast is supposed to take 12 hours (1.5 hrs / pound at High Smoke - 225 degrees). That being said, the unit constantly monitors temperature and adjusts the pellet feed rate accordingly. I've only had to peek at it a few times today.

You could try parboiling those ribs before finishing them off on the Weber.

#Resistance_is_futile
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

RPlant wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:36 pm
We're 8.5 hours into the smoke now. A few taps on the pull lever and it released, more of the pain to deal with it at 6:30 am. I had to take everything out to get at it, but honestly two taps and it was fine.
But the question remains, how did it turn out? I did 3 +/-9 pounds butts on Saturday. Took right at 9 hours.. I start my smoker at 255 for the first two hours then lower it to 235. I seem to get a really nice bark doing this. Everyone has their own methods to the smoking madness :)
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
RPlant
Reactions:

kevwr1962 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:31 am

But the question remains, how did it turn out? I did 3 +/-9 pounds butts on Saturday. Took right at 9 hours.. I start my smoker at 255 for the first two hours then lower it to 235. I seem to get a really nice bark doing this. Everyone has their own methods to the smoking madness :)
Turned out very nice actually. Used an online recipe for the rub mix. Bark was much better than the commercial product we used last time.

The unit has a Low Smoke, High Smoke and manual temperature setting. The recipe called for the same 225 temp as the High Smoke setting. Believe me, it crossed my mind more than a few times to manually crank it up :). I agree on using a couple of smaller cuts rather than one large one next time.

I think I might be taking up smoking.

#Resistance_is_futile
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

RPlant wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:40 am
kevwr1962 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:31 am

Turned out very nice actually. Used an online recipe for the rub mix. Bark was much better than the commercial product we used last time.

The unit has a Low Smoke, High Smoke and manual temperature setting. The recipe called for the same 225 temp as the High Smoke setting. Believe me, it crossed my mind more than a few times to manually crank it up :). I agree on using a couple of smaller cuts rather than one large one next time.

I think I might be taking up smoking.
Great to hear! I've been doing this for about 10 years. Lots of trials and tribulations at first with an old school smoker. These electrics make it easier. I totally trashed my first attempt at brisket. Didn't do another until I bought the Masterbuilt. I find pork butts/shoulders/ribs are far more forgiving than brisket and short ribs.
RPlant
Reactions:

Back to pork ribs today! Maple smoke and country-style cuts. Everything in the chain is homemade this time rather than prepared :) . 2 hrs raw smoke with an overnight rub and then 3 hrs smothered in a homemade maple syrup / honey sauce.

#Resistance_is_futile
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

It's Chicken breasts on our Weber charcoal grill probably for the last time this year, along with baked potatoes.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
RPlant
Reactions:

DennisinMH wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:06 pm It's Chicken breasts on our Weber charcoal grill probably for the last time this year, along with baked potatoes.
Come on man, grilling is a year round activity :). I can't tell you how may times I've shoveled snow off the deck for a path to the grill.

#Resistance_is_futile
CCubs
Reactions:
Mood:

RPlant wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:08 pm
DennisinMH wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:06 pm It's Chicken breasts on our Weber charcoal grill probably for the last time this year, along with baked potatoes.
Come on man, grilling is a year round activity :). I can't tell you how may times I've shoveled snow off the deck for a path to the grill.
Same here, year round grilling. Well,....unless it is 20 degrees below or something like that.
People don't care how much you know.
They want to know how much you care.