Smoker help ?

RPlant
Reactions:

Thinking about a smoker, seriously. The reviews on the Weber EX4 are horrendous, but have had Weber grills for over 30 years. What's the same size model Traeger? Is it really better?
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
Bwiser
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:42 pm Thinking about a smoker, seriously. The reviews on the Weber EX4 are horrendous, but have had Weber grills for over 30 years. What's the same size model Traeger? Is it really better?
I have a Big Green Egg that I do all of my smoking. Love it.
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

I have two electric Masterbuilts.....a 30" and a 40". I use them frequently. Plug them in, set the temp, add wood chips about every hour, foolproof. Only thing I don't like about the 40" is it seem like the drip tray is smaller than the 30". Think as it can cook more product, it would have a bigger drip tray. But if I had to do it over again, I'd buy the 40". Spare ribs and big pork butts don't fit well it the 30" and need the size of the 40". A friend of mine just bought this and likes it, but as he has been out of town for work a lot lately hasn't given it the full workout. https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/gr ... ill-smoker. No, I don't work for Masterbuilt :)
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
cjsummers
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:

I thought this thread was somebody asking for help to stop smoking. Ha! I was going to suggest the patch.
RPlant
Reactions:

Good info everyone.

We have a Weber Genesis II gas unit and would still keep that in the mix. The Green Egg seems a little too similar our to old Weber Kettle charcoaler that the Gensis replaced (I had the old model before the handy ash tray at the bottom, remember poking thru the vent dials with the meat fork to get ash to drop out).

I had originally started looking at an electric Masterbuilt, but had a coworker rave about the Trager pellet smokers. From there I ended up looking at the Weber EX4 to keep it in the "family", but the reviews on Amazon & YouTube just ripped on it.

#Resistance_is_futile
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

I bought the bottom of the line Masterbuilt because I didn't want to spend the $800+ on a Traeger, Bradley, or Camp Chef and then not get into it. Now I have it and the aforementioned 40". Think my next purchase will be an Oklahoma Joe's Reverse Flow Longhorn Smoker......it is one of the old manual type :D I have been thinking about competing but they don't allow electrics like I have, which I don't understand because they will let you use a Traeger which electronically feeds more pellets to sustain the temperature,. thusly the Longhorn.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
RPlant
Reactions:

Went with the Camp Chef DLX 24. End of season pricing at Target. Seems like the new WiFi model took over this unit's place in the line up. This model is electric.

#Resistance_is_futile
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

RPlant - you are probably better off without all the latest Bluetooth/WiFi wizardry. I know I'm not the only one who has had headaches with remote controls, controlling things with phones, etc. on various brand smokers. The remote control range, with new batteries, on my Masterbuilt 40 is horrid. It is easier to check/change things on my own than endure the frustration that thing causes. Now one Bluetooth/Wifi thing I love is my Inkbird IBBQ-4T thermometer.
RPlant
Reactions:

Started the second smoke this morning. I know, "first world problem", but the ash clean out lever was stuck when I went to get it started. We're doing a larger pork roast that is supposed take 10 to 12 hours. So at 6:30am I'm digging out a hammer and chisel to persuade it to open. Maybe I missed a step on the cool down procedure, but it sure read to me that I was supposed to leave the ash clean out alone during shutdown.

#Resistance_is_futile
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Every year, I swear this is the year I'm going to cook some actual spare ribs on my Weber charcoal grill. Even if it takes 3 hours. Actual pork ribs, not babyback ribs.

Hasn't happened yet. Don't know if I'd want to invest in a smoker like the ones mentioned here.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?