Is there a difference?

DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Between using a range 3-prong cord or a 3-prong dryer cord on a dryer?

Our Whirlpool dryer motor went out last Tuesday. We've had it for about 34 years. And when we got it, it was a refurbished one. Since it was electric, her dad installed it in the house we lived in since 1991. We found a Maytag dryer at a clearance warehouse. Arranged for delivery, installation, and removal of old one. Except when the delivery folks came, they couldn't plug it in. The plug had 2 slants and an L shaped plug. Apparently 34 years ago, either her dad used a range cord for the existing outlet, or he installed a range outlet to fit the cord. Since he has passed, we'll never know.

Installers said we'd have to have an electrician put in new outlet. We couldn't use old dryer's cord because of 'liability' issues. (We paid $25 extra for the cord). And they wouldn't use a new range cord for existing outlet. Had to do with voiding warranty if we did. Obviously wife is upset that we have a dryer sitting in our utility room, and can't use it! So we paid $643 for dryer including delivery/install. Now have another$150-$200 charge for electrical work being done this. And then hope the installers will come back and verify outlet, plug in, and adjust a too-long dryer vent.

So is there that much difference between a dryer cord and a range cord?
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

I think there is a difference in the rated amps for those cords. I asked a similar question to a guy at Lowe's once. I don't think they are interchangeable.
SNMehr
Reactions:

I do not know. I have an older home. There were things done to it prior to my ownership which appear suspect. Probably been like that for decades and no issues. I will have to have them checked into if I ever sell the house. I know it is extra, but safety first, right? Yet it probably could be installed and last another 34 years :D
Joepyeweed
Reactions:
Mood:

Yes. There is a difference. They specifically make the plug a different shape you don’t accidentally plug something in the outlet that isn’t rated for that load.

You can get an adapter for around $40.
But the safer thing to do is get a new plug.
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Well, dryer is finally installed. Bought it on Thursday. Retailer usually advertises next day delivery, but couldn't get us in until Saturday.
Then the issue of the non-compatible plug came in.

Electrician came early Tuesday morning, took him less than a half hour to swap out outlet. He even checked breaker box for correct amps. We had called the retailer, ask that they come around 8 am, to verify and trim back the vent hose, as it was laying on ground. They had extended it out when putting dryer in.
Nope, we'll call between 8-10 am with delivery time. They called with 2-hour window between 3:15-5:15 pm. Actually showed up early 2:45, but they had opened up back of truck as if delivering. They came in, looked at dryer, asked us "why are we here, it's installed". No, we told them to verify plug, and trim back the vent hose. One guy seemed to have an attitude, but since our house has floor heat, we wanted to be sure. "I guess I can cut some off".
Then he asked if breaker was off, because he couldn't get it turned on. Wife went in and turned it on, lol. After they left, wife and I shook our heads, thinking that these guys deliver appliances all day, don't know how to operate what their company sells?

Did first large load, put dial between normal and more dry, on low heat. Clothes didn't dry all the way, but figured it's a learning process on a new dryer.

F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

DennisinMH wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:39 am Well, dryer is finally installed. Bought it on Thursday. Retailer usually advertises next day delivery, but couldn't get us in until Saturday.
Then the issue of the non-compatible plug came in.

Electrician came early Tuesday morning, took him less than a half hour to swap out outlet. He even checked breaker box for correct amps. We had called the retailer, ask that they come around 8 am, to verify and trim back the vent hose, as it was laying on ground. They had extended it out when putting dryer in.
Nope, we'll call between 8-10 am with delivery time. They called with 2-hour window between 3:15-5:15 pm. Actually showed up early 2:45, but they had opened up back of truck as if delivering. They came in, looked at dryer, asked us "why are we here, it's installed". No, we told them to verify plug, and trim back the vent hose. One guy seemed to have an attitude, but since our house has floor heat, we wanted to be sure. "I guess I can cut some off".
Then he asked if breaker was off, because he couldn't get it turned on. Wife went in and turned it on, lol. After they left, wife and I shook our heads, thinking that these guys deliver appliances all day, don't know how to operate what their company sells?

Did first large load, put dial between normal and more dry, on low heat. Clothes didn't dry all the way, but figured it's a learning process on a new dryer.

Where did you buy the dryer from? We've had good luck with Sherman's clearance. We bought a new LG dryer with a dent for 380.
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

We did get it there, at the warehouse. Has a small dent on top that you really can't see unless you look close. Got a good price, ,just that the customer service and delivery service wasn't as good as we had hoped.
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

DennisinMH wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:32 pm We did get it there, at the warehouse. Has a small dent on top that you really can't see unless you look close. Got a good price, ,just that the customer service and delivery service wasn't as good as we had hoped.
I've had similar experiences with delivery. No call no shows, etc. I almost exclusively buy appliances and furniture there. I do make it a point to complain about past experiences every time I make a purchase. I've even bitched to Paul.
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

[/quote]
I've had similar experiences with delivery. No call no shows, etc. I almost exclusively buy appliances and furniture there. I do make it a point to complain about past experiences every time I make a purchase. I've even bitched to Paul.
[/quote]

Complaining to Paul Sherman is one thing we haven't done.