A Message from a Police Chief

DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Pretty straightforward in these days of wanting all instant info on incidents, and then speculation based on no details. This should apply to any municipal police department.
This was posted on the MHPD Facebook page. I'm sure @AV8R would understand and appreciate this:

Citizens of Marquette Heights and Public at Large,

With social media being more and more prevalent in our daily lives and with information being shared instantly with the click of a button, it's to be expected that people have become accustomed to knowing things right away. Unfortunately that also leads to some negative interactions for first responders. When you see our flashing lights in your neighborhood it's only natural to be curious about what's going on. But please consider that this situation could be one of the worst days of your neighbors lives.

We as first responders often get questioned about what certain calls pertained to, what the outcome was, etc. It becomes difficult to repeatedly explain that we can't share this information, simply because it's not ours to share, not to mention the HIPAA regulations. If there is a safety or security concern for the community, we will gladly let you know. But most calls we respond to are peoples private matters, medical or otherwise. Imagine if it were you calling 911 for a situation in your home and you found out the people that were there to assist you discussed the details with anyone who wanted to know.

Another thing to consider is that many calls we respond to affect us in major ways. Being asked to relive and explain what happened on these calls can be very difficult for us as we're trying to process and handle our own emotions on the situation. According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), roughly 1 in 3 first responders develop PTSD. Dealing with extreme medical emergencies, distressed family members, fires, and more is hard for anyone to deal with.

In conclusion, we understand the desire to know what happened on any given call, but please be considerate of your neighbors, both civilian and first responders. If it's something the community needs to know, we will share it with you. Thank you for the support you show our community's volunteer fire department each and every day.

Respectfully,
Chief Hermacinski
Tazewell
Reactions:

Does this request apply to local news stations?
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:41 pm Does this request apply to local news stations?
No, it was directed at citizens. If this was directed at TV stations, you'd have to include all local, network, cable and Internet news organizations. And I doubt any print media organization would follow this.

But journalists always wait to verify information and sources before printing or airing a story. That's why WMBD and WEEK never reported about the MH teen's death until a few days later when MHPD and Tazewell County coroner released information on it. Local stations never report if someone locally committed suicide. And local news never reports based on just Internet speculation.

The accident occurred Saturday night, and wasn't reported until Wednesday. This is what the police chief's Facebook post is based on.

https://www.25newsnow.com/2023/08/23/co ... -shooting/

https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... -shooting/
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:55 am No, it was directed at citizens. If this was directed at TV stations, you'd have to include all local, network, cable and Internet news organizations.
Really? How do you know that? Did you talk to the volunteer Fire Chief? Are reporters and photographers not part of the "public at large"?
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

Seriously? It’s little wonder he doesn’t usually answer you.
Tazewell
Reactions:

AV8R wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:33 pm Seriously? .
Yes, given the reasons the chief gave.
We as first responders often get questioned about what certain calls pertained to, what the outcome was, etc. It becomes difficult to repeatedly explain that we can't share this information, simply because it's not ours to share, not to mention the HIPAA regulations. If there is a safety or security concern for the community, we will gladly let you know. But most calls we respond to are peoples private matters, medical or otherwise. Imagine if it were you calling 911 for a situation in your home and you found out the people that were there to assist you discussed the details with anyone who wanted to know.

Another thing to consider is that many calls we respond to affect us in major ways. Being asked to relive and explain what happened on these calls can be very difficult for us as we're trying to process and handle our own emotions on the situation. According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), roughly 1 in 3 first responders develop PTSD. Dealing with extreme medical emergencies, distressed family members, fires, and more is hard for anyone to deal with.
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:59 am
DennisinPeoria wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:55 am No, it was directed at citizens. If this was directed at TV stations, you'd have to include all local, network, cable and Internet news organizations.
Really? How do you know that? Did you talk to the volunteer Fire Chief? Are reporters and photographers not part of the "public at large"?
I didn't, but I know members of our newsroom (manager, producers, reporters reached out to MH police and coroner (I saw the emails) The fact that it was a Facebook post from the police chief (not the Fire chief, btw), tells me it was aimed at citizens. If you can't accept that, I can't help you. Move on to your next pirated PDC post to bash.
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:53 pm I didn't, but I know members of our newsroom (manager, producers, reporters reached out to MH police and coroner (I saw the emails)
Once again, this was the fire chief that wrote this. He's a volunteer, unlike the police and coroner.
DennisinPeoria wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:53 pm The fact that it was a Facebook post from the police chief (not the Fire chief, btw),
You're wrong. It's signed Chief Hermacinski. The fire chief. I looked it up.
DennisinPeoria wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:53 pm tells me it was aimed at citizens. If you can't accept that, I can't help you.
I don't accept that.
DennisinPeoria wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:53 pm Move on to your next pirated PDC post to bash.
You posted this on here, bud.
CCubs
Reactions:
Mood:

Tazewell wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:59 am
Are you putting anything else on the grill with that?
People don't care how much you know.
They want to know how much you care.
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

@Tazewell

I stand corrected mistaking the fire chief with the police chief

I also stand corrected that I did post the FB post here as well.as PDC.

Been one heck of a work week for me, out in heat and longer hours. My brain got a bit overwhelmed in posting here.