Auto thefts

DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Specifically, a question for @Whit

Is there a way to keep catalytic converters from being stolen? Similar to a steering wheel lock?

There seems to be an increase in such thefts, as well as auto thefts..While mostly occurring in Peoria, and MH has low crime, I'd like to be proactive and not have a converter taken from me. Both of our cars are locked at night and have key FOBS, so not too worried there about theft.

I didn't know if you've heard about ways to stop converters from being stolen. Thanks!
Tazewell
Reactions:

Two types.

https://catshield.com/

https://catclamp.com/

Neither are worth it in my opinion unless you have a vehicle with a very sought after converter like a Prius.
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

I appreciate the pics.

I have heard that certain models are targeted more often than others. Unfortunately, the police reports I get to review from time to time don't list the make/model of the vehicles whose converters get cut out. So wondering if my 2017 Encore could be a target, regardless. Aren't most converters made with same elements?
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:39 pm I appreciate the pics.

I have heard that certain models are targeted more often than others. Unfortunately, the police reports I get to review from time to time don't list the make/model of the vehicles whose converters get cut out. So wondering if my 2017 Encore could be a target, regardless. Aren't most converters made with same elements?
Top 10 list:

https://www.carfax.com/blog/catalytic-converter-theft

Depending on the model, different converters have different amounts of precious metals.

If you have comprehensive insurance, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be covered.
Whit
Reactions:
Mood:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:46 pm Specifically, a question for @Whit

Is there a way to keep catalytic converters from being stolen? Similar to a steering wheel lock?

There seems to be an increase in such thefts, as well as auto thefts..While mostly occurring in Peoria, and MH has low crime, I'd like to be proactive and not have a converter taken from me. Both of our cars are locked at night and have key FOBS, so not too worried there about theft.

I didn't know if you've heard about ways to stop converters from being stolen. Thanks!
There is no way to prevent the theft, a thief will make it happen. We have even had them stolen from customer cars on our lot. We just turn over security footage.
If any of our members drive a Kia/Hyundai, lock them suckers up! They are stealing them left & right. The ignition parts are all on backorder. I have had a few of them sitting at our shop since December waiting. Mike Miller has over 20 new cars damaged from theft attempts, they decided to remove all batteries so the car wouldn't leave the lot.
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Was in Chester yesterday for a cousin's memorial service. Talked to one of the deceased's nephews that is a lead investigator/hostage negotiator for Williamson County Sheriff's department (Marion, Carterville, etc.) He indicated that catalytic converter thefts are also up in their county, that thefts are up all over.
Last edited by DennisinPeoria on Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

Gee, I wonder why? :lol: :lol:
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

You would think rural, more Conservative-leaning counties, would have lower instances of crime, including thefts. After all, I keep hearing about big urban areas having high crime because they're run by Liberals.
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

Larceny is not a violent crime. It’s typically driven by addiction, which is up in rural areas thanks to a year long lockdown and fentanyl pouring over our southern border.
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:23 pm rural, more Conservative-leaning counties, would have lower instances of crime, including thefts.
This is true.
DennisinPeoria wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:23 pm big urban areas having high crime because they're run by Liberals.
This is true.