Happy New Year Throwback

DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Happy New Year, decided to start 2023 with another 'Throwback". This time, 1999 with a CAPtions interview with Black Panthers Party co-founder Bobbye Seale. He appeared in Peoria to speak at Bradley. We talked about misperceptions of the Black Panther party...and how economic empowerment, entrepreneurship, and development for youth would help cut down on crime. Perhaps something that resonates today.

Tazewell
Reactions:

Is there an extended interview where you ask him about the Marxist roots of the BPP? Any questions about the police killings, Alex Rackley, or Betty Van Patter?

How hypocritical of him to say he wants to disarm black youth when that was one of the main tenets of the BPP, arming black Americans.
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:47 am Is there an extended interview where you ask him about the Marxist roots of the BPP? Any questions about the police killings, Alex Rackley, or Betty Van Patter?

How hypocritical of him to say he wants to disarm black youth when that was one of the main tenets of the BPP, arming black Americans.
Sorry to disappoint you, but that is the whole interview, uncut, unedited. This was 1999, and I had never heard of those two names. It's ironic how today's Conservatives jump up and down to defend the 2A, but when the Black Panthers took advantage of exercising that same right to also defend themselves in the late 60's, all of a sudden Gun control became a big issue for the Right, especially the NRA.

https://www.history.com/news/black-pant ... ulford-act

I did Google those 2 names, and I condemn those actions.
Rackley's death was by a local New Haven chapter, not the National leaders, so it's possible that they condemned it too. Don't know why the Caucasian lady bookkeeper was beaten to death. I only knew about Huey P Newton, Mark Clark, a native Peorian who was killed alongside Newton, and, and Bobby Seale.

You don't think that by 1999, the Black Panthers efforts focused more on helping youth stay on the straight road instead of arming them? I'm hopeful that no black youth under age 18 received guns from the Black Panthers in the late 60's. If you want to google that and prove me wrong, go right ahead.
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:50 am Sorry to disappoint you, but that is the whole interview, uncut, unedited. This was 1999, and I had never heard of those two names.
You didn't do research before interviewing such a controversial person? Did you know about the Marxist roots?
DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:50 am It's ironic how today's Conservatives jump up and down to defend the 2A, but when the Black Panthers took advantage of exercising that same right to also defend themselves in the late 60's, all of a sudden Gun control became a big issue for the Right, especially the NRA.

https://www.history.com/news/black-pant ... ulford-act
It reminds me a lot of how people like you don't want anybody to have more than a "six shooter" for self defense.

The Mulford Act appears to be unconstitutional by the way.
DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:50 am I did Google those 2 names, and I condemn those actions.
Rackley's death was by a local New Haven chapter, not the National leaders, so it's possible that they condemned it too. Don't know why the Caucasian lady bookkeeper was beaten to death. I only knew about Huey P Newton, Mark Clark, a native Peorian who was killed alongside Newton, and, and Bobby Seale.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Rackley#Trials
Ripples from the case continued to spread when Sams testified that in killing Rackley, he had been acting on direct orders from Bobby Seale, who had stopped by the Orchard Street headquarters on May 20 after his Yale speech.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of ... Van_Patter

Van Patter was aged 45 when, after being missing for five weeks, her body was found. She had been beaten to death. Some sources indicate she had been raped. While no one was ever charged for the crime, it has been suggested that it was committed by members of the party. She had reportedly threatened to make public her discovery that the party doctored its books and had major tax problems.

After serving as a bookkeeper for Ramparts magazine, Van Patter became an aide to Panther leader Elaine Brown in 1974, after being introduced to the Party by David Horowitz.

Van Patter went missing on December 13, 1974. Some weeks later, her severely beaten corpse was found on a San Francisco Bay beach. There was insufficient evidence for police to charge anyone with van Patter's death but the Black Panther Party was "almost universally believed to be responsible," wrote Frank Browning in 1987. According to other authors, Huey Newton allegedly confessed to a friend that he had ordered Van Patter's murder, and that Van Patter had been tortured and raped before being killed. Christopher Hitchens wrote in the Los Angeles Times in 2003 that: "There is no doubt now, and there was precious little then, of the Panther leadership's complicity in this revolting crime". "While it was true that I had come to dislike Betty Van Patter, I had fired her, not killed her", Elaine Brown wrote in 1993. Brown said Van Patter was fired because she was too nosy about the Black Panther Party and was no longer of use to the party.
DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:50 am You don't think that by 1999, the Black Panthers efforts focused more on helping youth stay on the straight road instead of arming them? I'm hopeful that no black youth under age 18 received guns from the Black Panthers in the late 60's. If you want to google that and prove me wrong, go right ahead.
The BPP appears to have been dissolved in 1982. Again, more research would have been good.
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Did you have access to a modem and internet in 1999?

I didn't, unless I went to the library. PCCEO didn't get internet installed until about 2001. Chances are that the opportunity to interview Seale came that morning or maybe day before, so no time to research the BPP.

So even though the BPP dissolved in 1982, Seal is not allowed to speak out on what must be done to help youth no matter who does it? I believe a New Black Panther Party exists, but probably not in 1999.

Thank you for the updated info on how those 2 people died. Again, I had never heard of them, so those questions didn't enter my mind. In 1999, my department was myself and 1 other person, and his job was mostly print and PR duties, and assisting with running a camera when needed. I handled all the video work. Which included 2 weekly 1-hour Cable TV shows, internal company video work, and contractual video work. So research was not exactly a priority. Press releases were my main source of info.

Remember, I'm not a journalist, mostly camera/editing. I only got in front because no one else was available.

@WAPJoe I apologize if this thread got a little political. Feel free to move it if you think it should be.
Tazewell
Reactions:

So many excuses for your ignorance. You had all this time to read about Seale and the BPP. Either you never took the time to learn, or you did and are still proud of the interview. You essentially platformed somebody who is not any better than the Jan. 6th rioters you loathe so much.
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:47 pm So many excuses for your ignorance. You had all this time to read about Seale and the BPP. Either you never took the time to learn, or you did and are still proud of the interview. You essentially platformed somebody who is not any better than the Jan. 6th rioters you loathe so much.
You of course didn't answer my question about if you had access to the internet in 1999. I respect that.
@CCubs @AV8R @RPlant @Whit @Toldyouso @Joepyeweed do you recall having internet access in 1999? And what biased or unbiased sites were available?

Back in 1999, would those links to the info have existed? I don't think there were many Left vs right propaganda websites that would have had the BPP info one way or another.

Otherwise, We're debating something that happened about 22-23 years ago, and you expect me to remember EXACTLY why I didn't research Bobby Seale before the interview?

You know NOTHING about my daily work at PCCEO, and what or how I did my work. Or the missions of the shows we produced. So don't keep giving me the "excuses" mantra.

End of discussion. Next time I post video from those days, or any kind of video, do us both a favor and just IGNORE it.

Thank you.
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:29 pm You of course didn't answer my question about if you had access to the internet in 1999.
At home? Probably not yet. Definitely at school and at the library though. I'm sure you could have found a book or encyclopedia entry about the BPP if you really cared.
DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:29 pm Back in 1999, would those links to the info have existed? I don't think there were many Left vs right propaganda websites that would have had the BPP info one way or another.
Libraries didn't exist in 1999?
DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:29 pm Otherwise, We're debating something that happened about 22-23 years ago, and you expect me to remember EXACTLY why I didn't research Bobby Seale before the interview?
Something that happened 22 years ago that you just dredged up again.
DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:29 pm You know NOTHING about my daily work at PCCEO, and what or how I did my work. Or the missions of the shows we produced. So don't keep giving me the "excuses" mantra.
Nonsense. You've talked at length over the years about your time at the PCCEO.
DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:29 pm End of discussion. Next time I post video from those days, or any kind of video, do us both a favor and just IGNORE it.
No.
RPlant
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:29 pm
Tazewell wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:47 pm So many excuses for your ignorance. You had all this time to read about Seale and the BPP. Either you never took the time to learn, or you did and are still proud of the interview. You essentially platformed somebody who is not any better than the Jan. 6th rioters you loathe so much.
You of course didn't answer my question about if you had access to the internet in 1999. I respect that.
@CCubs @AV8R @RPlant @Whit @Toldyouso @Joepyeweed do you recall having internet access in 1999? And what biased or unbiased sites were available?

Back in 1999, would those links to the info have existed? I don't think there were many Left vs right propaganda websites that would have had the BPP info one way or another.

Otherwise, We're debating something that happened about 22-23 years ago, and you expect me to remember EXACTLY why I didn't research Bobby Seale before the interview?

You know NOTHING about my daily work at PCCEO, and what or how I did my work. Or the missions of the shows we produced. So don't keep giving me the "excuses" mantra.

End of discussion. Next time I post video from those days, or any kind of video, do us both a favor and just IGNORE it.

Thank you.
I've had internet access since the mid 80s.
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

RPlant wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:00 am
DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:29 pm

Thank you.
I've had internet access since the mid 80s.
Ditto. Began using “tin” and “pine” on a dial up system to the university.
I will never vote for Kamunism