Bill To Address Teacher Shortages In Low-Income And Communities Of Color

LovelyRita
Reactions:

Well, this is timely! Great news!

"Durbin, Baldwin, Smith, Bustos Introduce Bill To Address Teacher Shortages In Low-Income And Communities Of Color

WASHINGTON โ€“ U.S. Senators Dick Durbin (D-IL), Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), and Tina Smith (D-MN), along with U.S. Representative Cheri Bustos (D-IL-17), today introduced a bicameral bill that would address severe nationwide shortages of early childhood and K-12 teachers that disproportionately impacts students from low-income backgrounds and students of color. Exacerbated by low pay, school leadership instability, and poor teaching conditions, schools in low-income communities struggle to retain experienced, qualified education professionals. Teacher pay has also worsened in the past 20 years, and teachers in low-income schools are more underpaid than teachers in more affluent schools. "

https://www.durbin.senate.gov/newsroom/ ... s-of-color
๐ŸŒŠ๐ŸŒŠ๐ŸŒŠBLACK LIVES MATTERโœŠ๐ŸปโœŠ๐ŸผโœŠ๐ŸฝโœŠ๐ŸพโœŠ๐Ÿฟ
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

Glad to see it. Teachers are grossly underpaid across the board.
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
born2race2win1954!
Reactions:
Mood:

AV8R wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:28 pm Glad to see it. Teachers are grossly underpaid across the board.
I have friends who are teachers, so, glad to see this issue is being addressed๐Ÿ˜€. Thank you, Cheri Bustos for being involved with this effort!
You only live once, so, live it with gusto!
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Proud to say that my younger daughter is among those teachers in a 0-3 Early Head Start program in Champaign County. She was actually hired back in April or May, but of course COVID prevented her starting until a few weeks ago. They were supposed to start accepting children this week, but that's been delayed.

So she and her classroom teachers are making videos everyday to help parents work with their children at home.

Guess who got called for 'tech support' in editing the 1st one?
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

Makes you wonder why this is happening. Note where the schools are located in Peoria.

Glen Oak (Wisconsin/Kansas) designation lowest performing has 6 years average teacher experience.
Maude Sanders (Forrest Hill/Gale) designation is commendable has 7 years average teacher experience.
Calvin Coolidge (by Bradley) designation is under performing has 7 years average teacher experience
Trewyn (Starr & Laramie) designation is lowest performing has 8.5 years average teacher experience.
Whittier (by Bradley) designation is commendable has 12 years average teacher experience.
Mark Bills (close to Sams Club) designation is under performing has 12 years average teacher experience.
Von Steuben (Forrest Hill/Wisconsin in the East Bluff )designation is commendable has 13.5 years average teacher experience.
Thomas Jefferson (East side of War & University) designation is commendable has 14 years average teacher experience.
Lindbergh School (by Bicycle Safety town on Sheridan) designation is commendable has 16.5 years average teacher experience.
Rolling Acres (by ICC North Campus) designation is under performing has 18 years average teacher experience.

I know I didn't list all schools, but I did want to make note of a few things. 1. I look at Glen Oak and Von Stueben. They are what? a 1/4 mile from each other and you wonder why the great disparity. Whittier and Calvin Coolidge falls into the same questioning. . Same thing for Lindbergh and Rolling Acres and the teaching experience is almost identical. Maude Sanders, while not in the best or worst part of the city is doing pretty darn good with just 7 average years....what is their secret? Central and Manual are both under performing but Manual has 6 years average, Central 10.5. Apparently 4.5 years average more experience isn't helping much there.

It doesn't seem like location and experience is always the reason, though it is a larger percentage of the time. There has to be other factors to why some schools can retain teachers and others can not.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

kevwr1962 wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:03 am
It doesn't seem like location and experience is always the reason, though it is a larger percentage of the time. There has to be other factors to why some schools can retain teachers and others can not.
No experience as a teacher, but from life experience I might guess good, supportive management and parental involvement as a couple of possibilities. In that order.
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

I'd also think that these numbers could be skewed a bit. If you have 6 teachers in a grade school with 15+ years experience (which there are a lot of in D150) and the rest are under 10 years, it still moves the average up. Compare this to a larger school like Central who may have far more teachers but they only have a few with that type of tenure.
But what I want to know is, how many of the lawmakers who wrote this bill have interviewed teachers who have quit teaching or have moved to "better" schools. Is more money (as teachers are underpaid) or something else that caused them to move on? They make it sound like a pay disparity, but I doubt that is the sole, major, and/or only reason.
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

My older daughter has been a high school Spanish teacher since Fall, 2009. But she's been at her current school in a different district for only about 5 years now. So how does that kind of data factor in?
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
born2race2win1954!
Reactions:
Mood:

AV8R wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:28 pm Glad to see it. Teachers are grossly underpaid across the board.
I totally agree. I have a couple of teacher friends and they are awesome at their profession. They deserve a fare wage.
You only live once, so, live it with gusto!