Peoria’s 7th homicide of 2021

Tazewell
Reactions:

Another one?

https://week.com/2021/08/24/two-violent ... in-peoria/
One person is dead and one person is injured after two separate incidents early Tuesday morning.

Peoria Police say they were called to the 700 block of Northeast Jefferson Avenue just before 4 a.m. after reports of a man down.

Sergeant Amy Dotson says the man had obvious trauma to his body and was pronounced dead.

Peoria County Coroner Jamie Harwood says the man is between 30 and 40 years old.

About 10 minutes later, a man was found shot in the torso in the 700 block of East Republic.

He was taken to the hospital with serious injuries.

It is unclear if both scenes are related.

No suspect information has been made available in either incident.

Anyone with information is asked to call Peoria Police or anonymously to CrimeStoppers.
Toldyouso
Reactions:

UPDATE (9:18 p.m.) - Peoria Police said one person was killed Friday night in the city's 22nd homicide this year.

Police Sgt. Amy Dotson said officers responded about 8:08 p.m. to a ShotSpotter alert in the 800 block of NE Jefferson. Close by, Dotson said officers found in male down in a grassy area in the 300 block of Wayne.

She said an autopsy will determine how the person died.

Dotson did not immediately provide information about any suspects.
Tazewell
Reactions:

If only the mayor's Safety Net (S-NET) was in full swing, this probably would not have happened.
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:56 pm If only the mayor's Safety Net (S-NET) was in full swing, this probably would not have happened.
Absolutely. Your solution?, let's just throw in the towel and walk away.
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:17 pm
Tazewell wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:56 pm If only the mayor's Safety Net (S-NET) was in full swing, this probably would not have happened.
I have given my suggestions in previous threads. You just didn't like them.
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

Maybe we can adopt a San Francisco approach and pay them not to shoot one another.
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:41 pm
RPlant wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:17 pm
I have given my suggestions in previous threads. You just didn't like them.
Well, I guess you did. Don't know how I missed it in 16 pages of @Toldyouso's endless repetition of feigned concern for Peoria's inner city youth. I actually never said I didn't like your points (I never noticed it until now), but please allow me to retort.

Yea, stop emboldening criminals by vilifying police and start giving serious sentences to violent offenders for starters.
When has Mayor Ali ever vilified the police? Serious sentencing would be, as @CCubs has already mentioned start with the State's Attorney for prosecuting these offences and the judicial system to sentence them. If policing policy has honestly been to turn a blind eye, then shame on Peoria PD but I don't think that to be the case and if it is I strongly suspect that it is a result of a SA's office unwilling to prosecute.

Also, encouraging black youth to get out of hip hop/gangbanger culture and stop ridiculing those that work hard and take their education seriously.
Showing teens some reward for that education beyond a minimum wage job might also help. That culture is a result of the lack of opportunity. I do think that the Peoria area is doing a great thing by making ICC tuition free for any D#150 graduate. I also believe that Eureka college is extending that offer for an additional 2 years after their Associates. I'm not involved with D#150 schools, but I would hope that graduates of this program would come back and speak to the students.

It would be nice if the snitches get stitches mentality would be gone as well, but I don't know how to get rid of that.
It would seem that expanding the State's anti-bullying program would help with that in the schools, I would also think that renewed community policing efforts of Mayor Ali and Chief Echevarria will also help.

The earlier program of community officers actually living in the community is a good approach and I think credit goes to Ardis for that start. Peoria has housing stock literally being torn down due to neglect. If I were a cop early in my career, a rent free house in the city wouldn't be a terrible perk. I don't know that expanding program would be revenue neutral, but it would seem to provide both an uplift to the housing stock and crime reduction benefit.

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:09 am Yea, stop emboldening criminals by vilifying police and start giving serious sentences to violent offenders for starters.
When has Mayor Ali ever vilified the police? Serious sentencing would be, as @CCubs has already mentioned start with the State's Attorney for prosecuting these offences and the judicial system to sentence them. If policing policy has honestly been to turn a blind eye, then shame on Peoria PD but I don't think that to be the case and if it is I strongly suspect that it is a result of a SA's office unwilling to prosecute.
That statement wasn't pointed at the mayor. There are plenty of Leftist groups in the area that love to vilify law enforcement and coddle the criminal element.
RPlant wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:09 am Also, encouraging black youth to get out of hip hop/gangbanger culture and stop ridiculing those that work hard and take their education seriously.
Showing teens some reward for that education beyond a minimum wage job might also help. That culture is a result of the lack of opportunity. I do think that the Peoria area is doing a great thing by making ICC tuition free for any D#150 graduate. I also believe that Eureka college is extending that offer for an additional 2 years after their Associates. I'm not involved with D#150 schools, but I would hope that graduates of this program would come back and speak to the students.
I agree except for the lack of opportunity part. Too many youth think they their only shot is to become a rapper or athlete.
RPlant wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:09 am It would be nice if the snitches get stitches mentality would be gone as well, but I don't know how to get rid of that.
It would seem that expanding the State's anti-bullying program would help with that in the schools, I would also think that renewed community policing efforts of Mayor Ali and Chief Echevarria will also help.

The earlier program of community officers actually living in the community is a good approach and I think credit goes to Ardis for that start. Peoria has housing stock literally being torn down due to neglect. If I were a cop early in my career, a rent free house in the city wouldn't be a terrible perk. I don't know that expanding program would be revenue neutral, but it would seem to provide both an uplift to the housing stock and crime reduction benefit.

Anti-bullying programs won't do squat to hardened criminals. Community policing is a noble goal, but it hasn't worked in the past.
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:29 pm
RPlant wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:09 am Yea, stop emboldening criminals by vilifying police and start giving serious sentences to violent offenders for starters.
That statement wasn't pointed at the mayor. There are plenty of Leftist groups in the area that love to vilify law enforcement and coddle the criminal element.
RPlant wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:09 am Also, encouraging black youth to get out of hip hop/gangbanger culture and stop ridiculing those that work hard and take their education seriously.
I agree except for the lack of opportunity part. Too many youth think they their only shot is to become a rapper or athlete.
RPlant wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:09 am It would be nice if the snitches get stitches mentality would be gone as well, but I don't know how to get rid of that.

Anti-bullying programs won't do squat to hardened criminals. Community policing is a noble goal, but it hasn't worked in the past.
As I said, pretty much throw in the towel with you.

1) Why did you skip right past the largest problem in our area? Lack of prosecution.

2) You're letting your racism show again.

3) We have hardened criminals in grade schools? Come on man. Again, see #2.

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:16 am 1) Why did you skip right past the largest problem in our area? Lack of prosecution.

2) You're letting your racism show again.

3) We have hardened criminals in grade schools? Come on man. Again, see #2.
1) I skipped it because it should have been obvious to you that I agree with you on this point. I do find it hard to believe that you want more prosecution as in the past you have said that the justice system is racist and overincarcerates minorities.

2) How is it racist to point out something that is true?

3) Kids in grade schools are the ones threatening those who cooperate with the police?