Rivian Plant Expansion

bn13814
Reactions:

While Peoria is excited about a new PCAVB logo, true economic development is under way in nearby Normal.

Rivian Automotive LLC plans to add 600,000 square feet to the existing 2.5 million sq. ft. former Mitsubishi Motor Mfg. of America auto assembly plant. Brick-and-mortar growth. You don't see that too much in Central Illinois!

Discussion during the Normal Planning Commission begins at the 3:45 mark.

Tazewell
Reactions:

Rivian delays deliveries, again.

https://week.com/2021/07/16/deliveries- ... september/
NORMAL (WEEK) -- Deliveries of Rivian's R1T electrical truck is being pushed back from August to September.

Founder and CEO RJ Scaringe made the announcement in a letter to customers recently.

The company in June said its deliveries of the R1Ts was being delayed until July.

The R1S model is now planned to be delivered "shortly thereafter in the fall," the letter read.

"There are many reasons why our production ramp is taking longer than expected. The cascading impacts of the pandemic have had a compounding effect greater than anyone anticipated. Everything from facility construction, to equipment installation, to vehicle component supply (especially semiconductors) has been impacted by the pandemic," Scaringe said.

Scaringe described the process of launching the trucks, as well as its commercial vans, as a "complex orchestra of coordinated and interlinked activities."

Rivian took over the Normal-based manufacturing plant in 2017 after Mitsubishi left that site years before.

Since then, Rivian has been constructing and refitting the plant to start production of its electric vehicles.
RPlant
Reactions:

Welcome to the same world of delays all automotive manufacturers are facing.

Toyota to halt production at two plants due to chip shortage
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-toyo ... SKCN2CZ17D

Tens of thousands of GM pickups delayed while awaiting chips as shortage continues
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... r-BB1gqwOk

Ford To Temporarily Close Plants, Cut Production, Delay Vehicles Amid Lightning F-150 Launch
https://www.ibtimes.com/ford-temporaril ... 50-3204044
The chip shortage continues to bear down on the auto industry, with more temporary plant shutdowns affecting Ford.

Ford said in an internal memo obtained by CNBC that it will temporarily pause or cut production at eight of its North American plants for a period of time through June due to the chip shortage.

The chip shortage has been impacting the auto industry due to the pandemic, which shifted the product toward tech devices when the automotive sector was at a standstill, and consumers were clamoring for computers and home devices to facilitate remote work.
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:41 am Welcome to the same world of delays all automotive manufacturers are facing.
I am well aware of this particular company's latest excuses. I am also well aware that they have a string of broken promises to customers and various government bodies that have helped subsidize them over the last decade.
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:25 pm
RPlant wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:41 am Welcome to the same world of delays all automotive manufacturers are facing.
I am well aware of this particular company's latest excuses. I am also well aware that they have a string of broken promises to customers and various government bodies that have helped subsidize them over the last decade.
I figured that's where you were going with this.

#Resistance_is_futile
CCubs
Reactions:
Mood:

[ REMOVED BY MODERATOR ]
Last edited by WAPJoe on Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OFF TOPIC
RPlant
Reactions:

CCubs wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:44 pm A certain someone just can't pass up the chance at an argument.
Funny how that same certain someone can't stand being kicked off that other site. My post over there even acknowledged that, like the author of the article, there were concerns up until 2020. Rivian even declined a later offering of incentives from Normal. So that doesn't support his narrative. I guess if the source isn't some religious, ultra-conversative on YouTube, it rolls right past him.

Rivian declines $1 million grant to help Normal, Ill.
www.autonews.com/manufacturing/rivian-d ... normal-ill
Rivian declines $1 million grant to help Normal, Ill. May 04, 2020 02:56 PM Whitney McDonald RJ Scaringe: "We feel these funds would better serve our community by remaining with the municipality." Electric vehicle startup Rivian declined a $1 million grant from Normal, Ill., during the COVID-19 pandemic.

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:29 am My post over there even acknowledged that, like the author of the article, there were concerns up until 2020.
I just thought it was funny that you all of a sudden weren't quite the fanboy that you used to be about Rivian.
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:53 am
RPlant wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:29 am My post over there even acknowledged that, like the author of the article, there were concerns up until 2020.
I just thought it was funny that you all of a sudden weren't quite the fanboy that you used to be about Rivian.
That's a pretty big inference. I simply called you out for your typical, all government incentives = bad when we were talking a chip shortage.

#Resistance_is_futile