Evidence of River Barge Suspension

bn13814
Reactions:

Tuesday's Canadian National Railway local out of East Peoria showed evidence of what happens when river barge service is suspended . . . trains get longer.

Normally, this train has less than 30 cars and only runs three roundtrips a week between Decatur and East Peoria, but Tuesday's run had 68 cars!

The train had 23 empty scrap metal gondolas, which tells me that Liberty Steel & Wire Co. has temporarily had to switch to rail for scrap metal shipments from a southern origin (probably St. Louis/Metro East). Cars are returning south for more loads.

The first 26 cars of 32-car block of covered hoppers on the rear were loaded. As most display ADM markings, it is likely these were grain mash loads brought down from Cedar Rapids, Iowa by the Iowa Interstate Railroad last night.

If I may geek out, these are details of Canadian National (CN) freight service to our area.

L556 runs Monday, Wednesday and Friday from Decatur to East Peoria.
L557 runs Tuesday and Thursday from East Peoria to Decatur.
L556 runs East Peoria to Decatur on Fridays.

Most of CN's local business is via interchange with the Tazewell & Peoria Railroad at East Peoria, but the carrier also serves Amerhart Ltd. and Hanna Steel Corp. at Pekin's Riverway Business Park.

(Video shot at 5th Street near South Pekin.)
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

Cool video...that train had some pace going!!
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........