Peoria to lose two more retail stores

Toldyouso
Reactions:

“ Meanwhile, two Peoria stores are closing at the Shoppes at Grand Prairie.

"As more and more people shop online, we are going to lose more and more of these brick and mortar, local stores. That's just an unfortunate side effect of online shopping," said Chris Setti, the CEO of Peoria Economic Development Council.

It includes the J. Crew Factory store that filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2020. In September, managers announced it had equitized more than $1.6 billion in debt.

Another store closing at the end of March is The School House Express. On Facebook, the owner said the difficulties of the pandemic are forcing her to shut the doors.

Setti believes online shopping and the pandemic are playing a role in the closures.

"It is so convenient sometimes to shop online and just to sit at your couch and click a button but every time we do that we're making a conscious choice, and that choice is hurting our community and our business community in many ways," said Setti.

Setti said the closures also mean fewer entry level jobs. He said fewer jobs can lead to higher levels of unemployment in the area.”
https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... -pandemic/
RPlant
Reactions:

I'm curious why some of the brick and mortar retailers are not embracing both models? You would think a specialty store like School House Express would have done really well online.
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

It was reported this morning that chain retailer Stock and Field will close all 25 of their stores. Two of them are located in Pekin and Washington. Both store locations are in big buildings, and Washington Mayor Gary Manier said it will be hard to find another business to replace it. Stock and Field used to be Big R's.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
Jannn1959
Reactions:

I'm curious why some of the brick and mortar retailers are not embracing both models? You would think a specialty store like School House Express would have done really well online.

I think they have an online presence, but most teachers did not need to purchase any items since the beginning of the school year. No bulletin boards, no “worksheets”, no games, etc. With all learning online, I’m not sure what would need to be purchased online or through a brick and mortar school. This is a sad loss and once school returns to normal, the closest school store will be in Bloomington.
CCubs
Reactions:
Mood:

Sad to see the School House Store close. Good to just walk through and I always found something that I didn't know I needed. Purchased a few Christmas gifts there the past few years. I for one, will miss this store.

Went to Stock & Field today,...eeehhh. We bought a few things but the experience wasn't what I was hoping for. It seems to me that when stores go out of business they mark prices up and then say something like 10 - 20% off and try to make you think that you are getting a great deal. I really felt like Bergner's had better prices than before the going out of business sale.

I don't know if I have ever been to the J. Crew Store. I might try to go, if nothing else just to get out of the house for awhile.
People don't care how much you know.
They want to know how much you care.