Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Wishing a healthy, happy and safe holiday season to everyone here!

I'm been asked to apply for a FT job, one with benefits, and one that utilizes skills I've had for many years. I'll need to check health insurance costs. Another issue is that the work shift is opposite of my wife's usual work schedule, meaning we'd only see each other for dinner on weekends. But with a FT job with benefits, she can officially retire. I'd be able to finally give up my Jason's job.

Lots of things to do next 3 weeks, birthday celebrations, Christmas, so chat with you all later!
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
Toldyouso
Reactions:

Wonderful news @DennisinMH!
Congratulations!
born2race2win1954!
Reactions:
Mood:

Good for you and your family, Dennis!!
You only live once, so, live it with gusto!
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Well, I didn't get the FT job, (MMJ position at WMBD), but they didn't rule me out for a future news photog job. They are willing to find a way to fit me into one no matter my college degree or journalism experience.

So for now, I'm staying where I'm at, with both jobs. I found out that a pay raise go into effect January 1st.

Wife is considering waiting another year until retiring, as supposedly you get more SS if you wait until age 67 to retire.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
Toldyouso
Reactions:

Sorry you didn’t get the job, @DennisinMH.
Also, please talk with an expert about your wife’s Social Security status. There is a lot of misinformation out there. Best of luck to both of you.
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

DennisinMH wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:08 am Well, I didn't get the FT job, (MMJ position at WMBD), but they didn't rule me out for a future news photog job. They are willing to find a way to fit me into one no matter my college degree or journalism experience.

So for now, I'm staying where I'm at, with both jobs. I found out that a pay raise go into effect January 1st.

Wife is considering waiting another year until retiring, as supposedly you get more SS if you wait until age 67 to retire.
the longer you wait the more you get, up to age 70. Your wife's full retirement age is likely either 66.5 years or 67 years, it depends on her year of birth. Once you reach full retirement age your SS benefit will continue to increase 8% per year until age 70. There is no benefit to waiting beyond age 70.

There is also a spousal benefit available, which is 50% of the other spouses benefit. It may or may not benefit you depending on how much each of you has coming as a benefit. If one spouse only earned a benefit that was 25% of the other spouse, it pays off. You take whichever yields you the most income.

Talk to an expert, like the other poster said. Some choices you make cannot be undone even if it turns out it wasn't the best choice.
I will never vote for Kamunism
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

I forgot to mention it but both you and your wife should go online to ssa.gov and create an online account if you haven't already. You can log in and print a benefit estimate as often as you like for no cost, and it will show your anticipated benefit at your FRA as well as how much it would be at age 70. Valuable info.
I will never vote for Kamunism
Toldyouso
Reactions:

Good advice from @AV8R.
You should also know you don’t have to start taking Social Security payments immediately after retiring. Your wife could retire now, but opt to wait until she is 66.5 or 67 before receiving the (higher) monthly payment. Also have her check with her employer as to what benefits carry over after she retires. Depending on how long she has worked for them, medical and other benefits may continue.
Bwiser
Reactions:

@DennisinMH This article might help.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-fi ... fit-by-age