Village Board mulls future of fire service in the Heights

Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

https://www.peoriaheights.org/intheknow ... he-heights

With Peoria Heights Fire Chief Greg Walters set to re3re in November, Village leaders are exploring various alterna3ves to provide future fire service – and ways
to pay for it, as well. Trustee Brandon Wisenburg, the board liaison to the fire department, said that three op3ons are on the table. One, the Village could employ a paid duty crew for first shiH coverage, with a volunteer force taking over aHer hours, all supervised and coordinated by a part me fire chief. Two, the village could outsource fire service to the City of Peoria. Three, the Village could create a fire protection district, which could mean one more line item on the tax bill
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

As a Peorian, I would like to know which firehouses would service the Heights. My guess is the one on Adams (12) for locations below the hill, the one in the East Bluff (10) south of Glen and the one on Knoxville (15) for all points north of Glen. I'm thinking a fire halfway up/down Grandview Drive would take a looooong time from either of these locations.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

Is the Station on Wisconsin Ave still open?
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

Pock wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:47 pm Is the Station on Wisconsin Ave still open?
Yes, it is the one that services the East Bluff. I'm guessing it would be PH choice for service except Galena Road and the lower part of Grandview Drive.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

I doubt our fire department is going anywhere.
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

This is Illinois. Just raise everyone's taxes and be done with it.
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

AV8R wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:18 pm This is Illinois. Just raise everyone's taxes and be done with it.
That's what makes this complicated. But right now the fire department is voluntary. Our only daytime firefighter is the chief. He is retiring in November. That means we have no daytime responders come November.