It is no Accident...

Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

It's no accident that:
You learned about Helen Keller instead of W.E.B. DuBois
You learned about the Watts and L.A. Riots, but not Tulsa or Wilmington.
You learned that George Washington’s dentures were made from wood, rather than the teeth from slaves.
You learned about black ghettos, but not about Black Wall Street.
You learned about the New Deal, but not “red lining.”
You learned about Tommie Smith’s fist in the air at the 1968 Olympics, but not that he was sent home the next day and stripped of his medals.
You learned about “black crime,” but white criminals were never lumped together and discussed in terms of their race.
You learned about “states rights” as the cause of the Civil War, but not that slavery was mentioned 80 times in the articles of secession.
Privilege is having history rewritten so that you don’t have to acknowledge uncomfortable facts.
Racism is perpetuated by people who refuse to learn or acknowledge this reality.
You have a choice.
Happy Juneteenth! 🇱🇾
Copy/paste
#jointheconversation #strongertogether
Comments
Write a comment...

Rashmi Ali
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

@leslie110 I think you had mentioned something similar to this.

The government controls what is taught in school. My children never learnt how the Federal government violated the civil rights of every American with the un-patriot act and illegal spying that continues this day in the fake FISA court. How they exiled an American Hero. Government is the antithesis of education.
JustRight
Reactions:

The government absolutely controls what is taught in school!
But, it happens at the State and local level, not the Federal level.
Those of you who went to school in Illinois got a different education than my friends and I did in New York.
I’m guessing you didn’t learn of this event, which happened 46 years ago today, in the neighborhood I grew up in. There were no protests, no looting, and no arsons in connection with this death:
http://www.junipercivic.com/juniperberr ... u5A3y01if0
leslie110
Reactions:

That is a tragic story but I don’t think the awful murder of one officer can be compared to the destruction of an entire African American neighborhood, the slaughter of over 300 African Americans and dumping them in mass graves, and murdering people by dropping firebombs from airplanes, and then failing to even acknowledge that is happened until a few years ago.
SNMehr
Reactions:

"Privilege is having history rewritten so that you don’t have to acknowledge uncomfortable facts.".

Tell that to the descendants of 6.5 million Jews and the handful of survivors of places like Auschwitz, which still stands.
born2race2win1954!
Reactions:
Mood:

I agree. I hope the time will come when the truth about our country’s history is told accurately. It is time.
You only live once, so, live it with gusto!
JustRight
Reactions:

SNMehr wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:31 pm "Privilege is having history rewritten so that you don’t have to acknowledge uncomfortable facts.".

Tell that to the descendants of 6.5 million Jews and the handful of survivors of places like Auschwitz, which still stands.
YES!
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

It wasn't until I started working at PCCEO in 1986 when I learned about a Black woman millionaire named Madam CJ Walker, who sold beauty products. Or that Garrett Morgan's most notable inventions were a three position traffic signal and a smoke hood (the first modern gas mask) notably used in a 1916 tunnel construction disaster rescue.
Daniel Hale Williams was an American general surgeon, who in 1893 performed the first documented, successful pericardium surgery in the United States to repair a wound. He founded Chicago's Provident Hospital, the first non-segregated hospital in the United States and also founded an associated nursing school for African Americans. That's the very top of the iceberg. Over time, I became more interested in Black History, tried to learn and share more of it.

In my history classes in Pekin, the only Blacks we learned about were Dr. Martin Luther King, George Washington Carver, Jesse Owens, Nat King Cole, maybe Malcolm X. No more than 5 or 10. We were taught about the 1968 riots after King's assassination, and the Watts riots. I remember my mom telling me as a young boy, that many whites feared if Blacks gained too much power in this country, that they would try to enslave whites, just as we had enslaved them 300 years ago. And that's why there's so much discrimination and racism. Well, we did have a Black President, and no enslavement occurred, did it?
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
bgbird68
Reactions:

JustRight wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:57 pm
SNMehr wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:31 pm "Privilege is having history rewritten so that you don’t have to acknowledge uncomfortable facts.".

YES!

Is this in reference to Holocaust deniers?
JustRight
Reactions:

leslie110 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:13 pm That is a tragic story but I don’t think the awful murder of one officer can be compared to the destruction of an entire African American neighborhood, the slaughter of over 300 African Americans and dumping them in mass graves, and murdering people by dropping firebombs from airplanes, and then failing to even acknowledge that is happened until a few years ago.
I assume the murder of one man...Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr....is still taught in schools.
While Lt. Schmiemann was just “one officer”, thousands of law enforcement officers like him have been killed in the line of duty over the years. A more recent example is David Dorn, a retired police Captain who was killed earlier this month by looters in St. Louis. Witnesses chose to livestream his final moments on Facebook, rather than call for help as he bled out.
Shouldn’t the war on our police officers also be taught in schools?