During the pandemic, the U.S. proved the wisdom of guaranteed cash payments.

LovelyRita
Reactions:

"The UI bonus in the CARES Act expires at the end of July, and Congress is in the midst of a roiling debate over whether to extend it, winnow it down, or end it entirely. Democrats largely favor keeping the bonus payments in place, given the scope of the recession. Republicans have argued that, by allowing workers to stay home rather than look for jobs, the bonus is harming the recovery. White House officials are pushing for it to end, too.

But the economic evidence, as well as testimonials from Americans receiving the bonus, supports not just keeping the $600 payment, but expanding it to encompass millions more Americans. Simply giving people cash turns out to be a powerful way to protect workers during a public-health crisis, to alleviate poverty, and to empower employees to bargain with employers. Uncle Sam needs to give out a lot more."

I agree! Payments to people not corporations!

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ar/613972/
🌊🌊🌊BLACK LIVES MATTER✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

Of course democrats, and by extension you, support this. The longer you can keep the unemployment numbers up, the better your talking points going into the election. Also, even though it's democrats supporting it, come Sept/Oct they will be sure to point out how much the deficit rose under Trump.

Politicians care about only two things. 1) Getting in power, or 2) Staying in power.

People are like water, they seek the path of least resistance. Of course they want to stay home and get $850/week for doing nothing. Unless you have an old school work ethic, that goes without saying.

Stop the handouts, and people will get their lazy asses back to work.
Oscar Leroy
Reactions:

Back to work where? Unemployment is still in double digits.
LovelyRita
Reactions:

The federal governments failed response to the pandemic has contributed our economic situation. The federal government should provide a BMI until this is over.
🌊🌊🌊BLACK LIVES MATTER✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

Oscar Leroy wrote: ↑Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:59 pm Back to work where? Unemployment is still in double digits.
there are stories all over the internet and as well as all around town of places hiring and not being able to find workers. Some are offering benefits as well as an added incentive to entice people off the free ride and back to work. But the first step of course is getting yer ass off the couch.
RambleOn
Reactions:

Maybe those employers who are looking for people to hire will put all the airline workers to work after the next month or so. Have a friend that went back to work. The business hours have been cut. She got 6 hours last week.
Above all, be kind!
Oscar Leroy
Reactions:

AV8R wrote: ↑Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:08 pm
Oscar Leroy wrote: ↑Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:59 pm Back to work where? Unemployment is still in double digits.
there are stories all over the internet and as well as all around town of places hiring and not being able to find workers. Some are offering benefits as well as an added incentive to entice people off the free ride and back to work. But the first step of course is getting yer ass off the couch.
Has Cat called back all the people they laid off? Do you have anything besides "stories all over the internet as well as around town"? The only thing I see on the internet is repubs warning us that this will happen if we give working people more money.
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

are you looking for work? I thought you were retired.
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

I agree some form of UI extension should be granted. But not $600 a week. I have also heard that some workers are making more on UI and the benefit than if they were working. One problem is if the employer has enough business to bring them back. Some do, some don't.

So, as an incentive for laid-off or furloughed workers to transition back to working, offer a 3 month bonus of $250 a week, as long as they are back working at their former position, or at a new job if their old job is no longer available. No more weekly UI benefits.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
Oscar Leroy
Reactions:

AV8R wrote: ↑Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:17 pm are you looking for work? I thought you were retired.
Great answer. I didn't realize this thread was only for the unemployed. I wish you all the best of luck.