Facebook Groups Are Destroying America

Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

https://www.wired.com/story/facebook-gr ... pockethits

THE COVID-19 “INFODEMIC” has laid bare how vulnerable the United States is to disinformation. The country is less than five months away from the 2020 presidential election, and Americans by the thousands are buying into conspiracy theories about vaccines containing microchips and wondering about the healing powers of hair dryers. Where does all this come from? Let’s not be too distracted by a fear of rumormonger bots on the rampage or divisive ads purchased with Russian rubles. As two of the leading researchers in this field, we’re much more worried about Facebook groups pumping out vast amounts of false information to like-minded members.
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

I'm not sure Facebook can take all the blame for this. The lack of education is destorying America. I know people who believes the craziest shit they've seen on Facebook.
cjsummers
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:

You're right. It's not just Facebook. The Internet is destroying the world. It insulates. It anaesthetizes. It dehumanizes. It breaks down community while giving the impression that it builds up community. It masks boredom and lethargy and assuages guilt. It creates a false sense of supreme power over one's reality. It's the matrix.
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

cjsummers wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:26 pm You're right. It's not just Facebook. The Internet is destroying the world. It insulates. It anaesthetizes. It dehumanizes. It breaks down community while giving the impression that it builds up community. It masks boredom and lethargy and assuages guilt. It creates a false sense of supreme power over one's reality. It's the matrix.
:shock:
JustRight
Reactions:

I’m inclined to agree with @cjsummers
I’ve had notifications from Facebook telling me that something posted in a group I belong to was deemed “false”. You don’t have that anywhere else on the web. I could post HERE that green m&ms are a cure for COVID-19. You heard it here first!
I’m more concerned with WHO gets to determine what is “false”, and what the criteria is for that determination. For example, early on, the Surgeon General stated that he didn’t think healthy people should wear masks in public. Wearing a mask, he said, should be done only by those with symptoms, as a signal to others to give them a wide berth. He has since changed his opinion, but his original reasoning has merit. So, is the statement, “The Surgeon General doesn’t think healthy people should wear a mask in public” true, or false?
My answer: neither, because it is an opinion.
bn13814
Reactions:

cjsummers wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:26 pm You're right. It's not just Facebook. The Internet is destroying the world. It insulates. It anaesthetizes. It dehumanizes. It breaks down community while giving the impression that it builds up community. It masks boredom and lethargy and assuages guilt. It creates a false sense of supreme power over one's reality. It's the matrix.
I agree 100%. The Internet is a wonderful thing, but humans always end up corrupting it.
born2race2win1954!
Reactions:
Mood:

I agree 100%. The Internet is a wonderful thing, but humans always end up corrupting it.
[/quote]

I agree with you totally. For the job I retired from. I was involved with and made decisions for our local Peoria company’s first online presence and customer-facing online financial systems. We had many discussions about the pros/cons of heading into the online “everything” realm. I remember talking with the Peoria police to give them a heads up about where we were headed and they had concerns. Rightly so.
Last edited by born2race2win1954! on Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You only live once, so, live it with gusto!
RPlant
Reactions:

George Carlin said it best. Think about how stupid the average person is and then realize that half of them are even stupider!

You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
born2race2win1954!
Reactions:
Mood:

RPlant wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:39 pm George Carlin said it best. Think about how stupid the average person is and then realize that half of them are even stupider!

George Carlin was the best!! ❤️ I was listening to a video I have of him the other day. If he was still among us, his humor would be giving this epidemic and all the related politics a good run for the money.
You only live once, so, live it with gusto!