Networks of self-driving trucks are becoming a reality in the US

Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/7/1/213 ... ht-network

Fully autonomous trucking may be one step closer to reality. On Wednesday, the San Diego-based self-driving startup TuSimple announced what it’s calling the world’s first autonomous freight network. That means that the company is laying the groundwork for delivering a lot more of our stuff with self-driving trucks.

TuSimple is hardly the only company working to making fully automated shipping a reality. Several companies, including Aurora, Daimler, and Embark Trucks, are competing for a slice of the future of self-driving freight trucks. Alphabet-owned Waymo confirmed on Tuesday that it will be expanding its own self-driving trucking routes throughout the American Southwest and Texas, following previous tests in Arizona, California, Michigan, and Georgia.
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

Self-driving cars are the future. It is exciting and sobering at the same time. Imagine the mass unemployment that will occur when humans are no longer needed to more freight.
cjsummers
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:

They should be outlawed. They are a public safety hazard of mammoth proportions.
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

While I'm not convinced about their safety, I'm more concerned about the unemployment of workers. We keep griping about unemployment yet we spend obscene amounts of money to unemploy them.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

kevwr1962 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:03 pm While I'm not convinced about their safety, I'm more concerned about the unemployment of workers. We keep griping about unemployment yet we spend obscene amounts of money to unemploy them.
Humans have always used technology to work less.