Mayor Rita Ali Speaks Out

Toldyouso
Reactions:

AV8R wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:33 am Is there a special sales tax for the convention center?
The Civic Center? Yes. The Hotel, Restaurant, and Entertainment tax has been in effect for over 30 years. It’s 2% of the price of a hotel room, a restaurant meal, or a movie or concert ticket within the city of Peoria. So, a restaurant meal in Peoria costs an additional 11% in sales tax. The money raised by that tax goes to the operating expenses of the Peoria Civic Center. Even with that slush fund, the PCC has only been in the black a handful of times in those 30+ years.
And yes, I know a city can’t legally move tax dollars from one pocket to the other. I was over-simplifying. We should sunset the HRE tax, and REPLACE it with a tax to help fund basic services, such as police and fire protection.
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

AV8R wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:33 am Is there a special sales tax for the convention center?
Not sure about that, but it's funded by the Hotel, Restaurant, Amusement tax. Don't know current rate, but others here would know.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
RPlant
Reactions:

Toldyouso wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:22 am
The Civic Center? Yes. The Hotel, Restaurant, and Entertainment tax has been in effect for over 30 years. It’s 2% of the price of a hotel room, a restaurant meal, or a movie or concert ticket within the city of Peoria. So, a restaurant meal in Peoria costs an additional 11% in sales tax. The money raised by that tax goes to the operating expenses of the Peoria Civic Center. Even with that slush fund, the PCC has only been in the black a handful of times in those 30+ years.
And yes, I know a city can’t legally move tax dollars from one pocket to the other. I was over-simplifying. We should sunset the HRE tax, and REPLACE it with a tax to help fund basic services, such as police and fire protection.
Nope, an additional 4.75% - TOTAL. You pay a minimum 6.25% in sales tax ANYWHERE in the State of Illinois. BTW, the HRE is not exclusively used to fund the Civic Center. Regardless, do you not think the Civic Center is one of the key drivers to most of the downtown draw? If not. you must be reflecting on the downtown of Peoria, pre-Civic Center, with some pretty thick rose color glasses. I'd offer it does exactly what it is supposed to be doing and the HRE should help supplement its operation.

Old story, but supports my point.

Peoria brings in more taxes from hotels, restaurants
https://www.pjstar.com/article/20120307/News/303079858
With a rise in fuel, delivery and food costs, Richard’s on Main might be struggling. But that is not the case. The Downtown restaurant and tavern is doing pretty good selling beers, burgers and steaks until 4 a.m. “We’re really driven by events, and the Civic Center has done a great job to keep that busy the last four to five months,” said owner Dave Remington, a few days before one of the busiest weekends of the year for Downtown businesses, the Illinois High School Association March Madness tournament.

Statistics show the city generated nearly $8.4 million in hotel, restaurant and amusement tax, some of which supports the Peoria Civic Center, the hosts for the weekend’s IHSA tournament.

It’s the most the HRA tax has generated since at least 2006, before the recession struck the region.
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:42 am Nope, an additional 4.75% - TOTAL. You pay a minimum 6.25% in sales tax ANYWHERE in the State of Illinois. BTW, the HRE is not exclusively used to fund the Civic Center. Regardless, do you not think the Civic Center is one of the key drivers to most of the downtown draw? If not. you must be reflecting on the downtown of Peoria, pre-Civic Center, with some pretty thick rose color glasses. I'd offer it does exactly what it is supposed to be doing and the HRE should help supplement its operation.

With a rise in fuel, delivery and food costs, Richard’s on Main might be struggling. But that is not the case. The Downtown restaurant and tavern is doing pretty good selling beers, burgers and steaks until 4 a.m. “We’re really driven by events, and the Civic Center has done a great job to keep that busy the last four to five months,” said owner Dave Remington, a few days before one of the busiest weekends of the year for Downtown businesses, the Illinois High School Association March Madness tournament.

Statistics show the city generated nearly $8.4 million in hotel, restaurant and amusement tax, some of which supports the Peoria Civic Center, the hosts for the weekend’s IHSA tournament.

It’s the most the HRA tax has generated since at least 2006, before the recession struck the region.
Richard's closed a few years ago, so maybe not the best example. Also, from what I have heard and read, downtown Peoria was doing just fine before they razed a bunch of historic buildings and built the Civic Center on the taxpayer's dime. It has lost way more money than it ever made. Maybe don't hold it up as a shining example of government created attractions and amenities?
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:17 am
RPlant wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:42 am Nope, an additional 4.75% - TOTAL. You pay a minimum 6.25% in sales tax ANYWHERE in the State of Illinois. BTW, the HRE is not exclusively used to fund the Civic Center. Regardless, do you not think the Civic Center is one of the key drivers to most of the downtown draw? If not. you must be reflecting on the downtown of Peoria, pre-Civic Center, with some pretty thick rose color glasses. I'd offer it does exactly what it is supposed to be doing and the HRE should help supplement its operation.

Richard's closed a few years ago, so maybe not the best example. Also, from what I have heard and read, downtown Peoria was doing just fine before they razed a bunch of historic buildings and built the Civic Center on the taxpayer's dime. It has lost way more money than it ever made. Maybe don't hold it up as a shining example of government created attractions and amenities?
Don't you constantly go on about your age, being so young? I'm afraid what you've heard & read is a bunch of BS. I'm pretty sure you can still ask Mayor Carver directly.

Seriously, what is the lifespan of a restaurant? I cited the article for how the distribution of the HRE works and the interdependency of downtown businesses and the Civic Center.

You know what is revenue neutral?, a vacant lot. Having lived outside of the area, I can tell you that the Civic Center was the ONLY draw to travel over an hour to be in Peoria.

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:18 am Don't you constantly go on about your age, being so young? I'm afraid what you've heard & read is a bunch of BS. I'm pretty sure you can still ask Mayor Carver directly.

Seriously, what is the lifespan of a restaurant? I cited the article for how the distribution of the HRE works and the interdependency of downtown businesses and the Civic Center.

You know what is revenue neutral?, a vacant lot. Having lived outside of the area, I can tell you that the Civic Center was the ONLY draw to travel over an hour to be in Peoria.
You didn't live here when the Civic Center was built, so you have no firsthand knowledge either.

I have said this before and I will say it again. The role of government is not to create attractions to draw people in. Peoria would have been better off financially if the land the Civic Center is on was left vacant instead of building the boondoggle that it has become.
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:30 pm
RPlant wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:18 am Don't you constantly go on about your age, being so young? I'm afraid what you've heard & read is a bunch of BS. I'm pretty sure you can still ask Mayor Carver directly.

You didn't live here when the Civic Center was built, so you have no firsthand knowledge either.

I have said this before and I will say it again. The role of government is not to create attractions to draw people in. Peoria would have been better off financially if the land the Civic Center is on was left vacant instead of building the boondoggle that it has become.
I believe it was 1979 / 1980. I worked with the attorney who created the original TIF that supported it. By original, I mean the first in the State of Illinois, but please continue to tell me all about it child.

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:34 pm I believe it was 1979 / 1980. I worked with the attorney who created the original TIF that supported it. By original, I mean the first in the State of Illinois, but please continue to tell me all about it child.
You lived here in 1979?

By the way, TIFs are a joke and should be outlawed. In some places they are.
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:38 pm
RPlant wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:34 pm I believe it was 1979 / 1980. I worked with the attorney who created the original TIF that supported it. By original, I mean the first in the State of Illinois, but please continue to tell me all about it child.
You lived here in 1979?

By the way, TIFs are a joke and should be outlawed. In some places they are.
Please continue to enlighten us. You are only embarrassing yourself, child.

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:52 pm Please continue to enlighten us. You are only embarrassing yourself, child.
TIFs steal money from school districts and taxpayers to subsidize developers, unions, and corporations. I know that you know this, but would never admit it.