U.S. stocks see best quarter since 1998

Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

LovelyRita wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:03 am It was impossible to follow a thread because of all the different people on ignore. I never understood why that function was available. Folks can't handle differing views sometimes and need their hands held, maybe? The internet is a pretty scary place.
Do not worry yourself with that. I'm not going anywhere.
JustRight
Reactions:

Getting this thread back on topic, after the rude interruption:
U.S. stocks are up again after the holiday weekend.
From the Wall Street Journal:
“Investors and traders will be pay­ing close at­ten­tion to the In­sti­tute for Sup­ply Man­age­ment’s non­man­u­fac­tur­ing in­dex, due out at 10 a.m. ET. The in­dex is ex­pected to show a small re­turn to growth for the U.S. ser­vice and con­struc­tion sec­tors in June. This would snap a streak of two months of shrink­ing in the sec­tor, as the coun­try has wres­tled with coro­n­avirus out-breaks.“
LovelyRita
Reactions:

I happened to be looking at financial new today, too!

"The estimated (year-over-year) earnings decline for Q2 2020 is -43.8%, which is below the 5-year average earnings growth rate of 5.5%,” Factset’s John Butters wrote. “If -43.8% is the actual decline for the quarter, it will mark the largest year-over-year decline in earnings for the index since Q4 2008 (-69.1%).”

“All eleven sectors are projected to report a year-over-year decline in earnings, led by the Energy, Consumer Discretionary, Industrials, and Financials sectors,” Butters added.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.ya ... 43074.html
🌊🌊🌊BLACK LIVES MATTER✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿
JustRight
Reactions:

Good news!
“ U.S. stocks climbed Fri­day, end­ing the week with gains, as in­vestors brushed off wor­ries about a fresh wave of coro­n­avirus in­fec­tions and its im­pact on the eco­nomic re­cov­ery.”
“ All three in­dexes were pos­i­tive for the sec­ond con­sec­u­tive week, even as new coro­n­avirus cases in the U.S. re­peat­edly hit fresh records.”
LovelyRita
Reactions:

"Still, there are signs investors remain jittery. Asian stocks sold off, briefly sending investors rushing to seek shelter in government bonds.

The yield on the benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury note fell as low as 0.571%, its lowest level in more than two months. It bounced back after the U.S. stock market opened and settled at 0.633%, up from 0.605% on Thursday. Bond yields move in the opposite direction from prices.

“At some stage you accept the reality that Covid hasn’t gone away, that it’s going to have an impact on all economies in terms of social distancing until we have a vaccine,” said Brian O’Reilly, head of market strategy for Mediolanum International Funds."

From the same WSJ article...
LovelyRita
Reactions:

"Still, there are signs investors remain jittery. Asian stocks sold off, briefly sending investors rushing to seek shelter in government bonds.

The yield on the benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury note fell as low as 0.571%, its lowest level in more than two months. It bounced back after the U.S. stock market opened and settled at 0.633%, up from 0.605% on Thursday. Bond yields move in the opposite direction from prices.

“At some stage you accept the reality that Covid hasn’t gone away, that it’s going to have an impact on all economies in terms of social distancing until we have a vaccine,” said Brian O’Reilly, head of market strategy for Mediolanum International Funds."

From the same WSJ article...
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

JustRight wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:50 pm Good news!
“ U.S. stocks climbed Fri­day, end­ing the week with gains, as in­vestors brushed off wor­ries about a fresh wave of coro­n­avirus in­fec­tions and its im­pact on the eco­nomic re­cov­ery.”
“ All three in­dexes were pos­i­tive for the sec­ond con­sec­u­tive week, even as new coro­n­avirus cases in the U.S. re­peat­edly hit fresh records.”
GREAT NEWS! 2021 will be awesome for the market unless BIden wins.
Joepyeweed
Reactions:
Mood:

What I hear as I read this thread, “I don’t care how many people die as long as the stock market goes up”.

Bless your Christian hearts.
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

It’s odd you hear that because literally nobody has said that. One can be grateful that the market remains strong while at the same time grieving at the loss of life caused by the China virus.

Bless your slow mind.
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

Joepyeweed wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:47 pm What I hear as I read this thread, “I don’t care how many people die as long as the stock market goes up”.

Bless your Christian hearts.
So I guess you will be donating all of your "blood money" gains to families who have lost a loved one to CV-19? Should I move all of my money into utility stocks, which are still down around 25%, in penance? Neither will bring them back or console their loved ones.. Just because stocks were up Friday because "in­vestors brushed off wor­ries about a fresh wave of coro­n­avirus in­fec­tions" doesn't mean we are happy people died. Can't people be happy that they re-couped their losses this virus caused in the first place?
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........