Fall School

Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

LovelyRita wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:51 pm From your own source:

Although many questions remain, the preponderance of evidence indicates that children and adolescents are less likely to be symptomatic and less likely to have severe disease resulting from SARS-CoV-2 infection. In addition, children may be less likely to become infected and to spread infection. Policies to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 within schools must be balanced with the known harms to children, adolescents, families, and the community by keeping children at home.

Children can be infected with coronavirus. Children can spread coronavirus. Children don't get as sick, unless they do. They may be LESS LIKELY to spread.

That's different than being unable to spread.
This again comes back to biology. We all know viruses spread. What is your point? We all try and avoid getting sick. We get it. Some people do not wear a mask. So? There is no force on this planet that can force 300+ million people to wear a mask.
LovelyRita
Reactions:

My point is that expecting us to return to business as usual is foolish. Those who want that don't understand epidemiology.
🌊🌊🌊BLACK LIVES MATTER✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

LovelyRita wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:15 pm My point is that expecting us to return to business as usual is foolish. Those who want that don't understand epidemiology.
At no point in human history have we ever stopped. Do you know that we almost went extinct? Around 70,000 BC, there were only roughly a thousand reproductive adults. I read one study that says we hit as low as 40. Now, while we can't say, for sure the mindset, I would argue our skills at being social animals helped us through that time and it will help us this time. Relax, take common-sense measures and we will get through this.
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... lt/613861/

good article on the necessity of opening our public schools this fall
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

AV8R wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:48 pm https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... lt/613861/

Essential infrastructure indeed. Gesh, it was lacking before the shutdown!
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

AV8R wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:19 pm The American Academy of Pediatricians disagrees with the CDC. Since the CDC has been notoriously wrong and changed it's advice 180 degrees several times in the past few months, :m not inclined to believe them. You recommending it serves to seal the deal for me. It's likely wrong advice based on fear and ignorance of what the real facts are.

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019- ... n-schools/
So what's your preferred source of reliable COVID-19 information? I tend to listen to Dr. Fauci and the NIH vs. the CDC, the WHO, and any White House administration official.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

1. Speaking of schools and which format they will use: my High School Spanish teacher daughter's school just south of Springfield hasn't yet decided what they are going to do; my visiting Vegas Sister in law who teaches 2nd grade also doesn't know what her school district is doing yet. And her school was supposed to have a new building constructed and ready to go in time for the new year. Pandemic kind of slowed that.

2. Those that don't think masks are needed at all: there are folks that are over age 60 that have diabetes or asthma issues. So they will wear masks to mostly prevent getting infected.
I'm required to wear masks at work, and I still got exposed to someone who tested positive back in early June. No fun sitting at home in quarantine with a lot less income coming in.
So please excuse my tendency to promote the wearing of masks.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
LovelyRita
Reactions:

AV8R wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:48 pm https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... lt/613861/

"While Americans closed down their businesses in the name of flattening the curve, President Donald Trump pitted states against one another and drummed up opposition to public-health guidance. Had he done his job properly, the governors who spent March and April trying to outbid one another for masks and ventilators could have devoted more energy to education. Had Trump implored his supporters to wear masks and be patient, case counts might well be dropping across the country. Instead, as many states experience an upswing in cases, plans to remake the education system—contemplating changes of a magnitude that would ordinarily take years to implement—are just now being written."

We aren't ready.
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

DennisinMH wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:16 am

So what's your preferred source of reliable COVID-19 information? I tend to listen to Dr. Fauci and the NIH vs. the CDC, the WHO, and any White House administration official.
I don't have one preferred source. I don't put much stock in Fauci, he's been wrong more than he's been right. I look at NIH and CDC date, don't care what the WHO says. Also look at a lot of independent sources, physicians groups, people who don't have a personal interest politically in the information one way or the other.
LovelyRita
Reactions:

DennisinMH wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:16 am
AV8R wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:19 pm The American Academy of Pediatricians disagrees with the CDC. Since the CDC has been notoriously wrong and changed it's advice 180 degrees several times in the past few months, :m not inclined to believe them. You recommending it serves to seal the deal for me. It's likely wrong advice based on fear and ignorance of what the real facts are.

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019- ... n-schools/
Dr. Fauci. He's worked for Republicans and democrats. He has been the only rational voice throughout this pandemic. The work he did during the HIV/AIDS crisis was amazing. Those who smear him are idiots.