Peoria Columbus statue: keep or remove?

DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

kevwr1962 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:57 am I think we need a big statue of Mudvayne. They're from Peoria.
Or REO Speedwagon. How about that comedian from East Peoria who started out as a preacher, used loud voice as a method to his comedy. His name escapes me for now.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

DennisinMH wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:36 pm
kevwr1962 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:57 am I think we need a big statue of Mudvayne. They're from Peoria.
Or REO Speedwagon. How about that comedian from East Peoria who started out as a preacher, used loud voice as a method to his comedy. His name escapes me for now.
REO was originally based out of Champaign. Gary was from EP and their original lead singer from Pekin. Gary has a bench/area along the river in Riverfront Park in EP. The comedian was Sam Kinison.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
RPlant
Reactions:

Even Luciano says to remove it.

Luciano: It’s time for Peoria to get rid of Columbus statue
https://www.pjstar.com/news/20200804/lu ... bus-statue
To be honest, even as a kid I didn’t understand our fascination with Columbus. It’s not as if he ever set foot on what would become America.

To be sure, his voyages prompted further exploration and the settling of the New Word. Was that a good thing? Native Americans would disagree, as would indigenous peoples he wiped out in the West Indies via mistreatment, subjugation, enslavement and disease.

“If you erase history,” one commentator posted, “what will keep people from making the same mistake?”

Making the same mistake? As far as Columbus’ mistakes, it’s probably fair to guess that the statue’s removal wouldn’t lead the way to any future Peorian sailing across the sea and launching a campaign of genocide.

More importantly, no one is erasing history. The statue should go away, but history is going nowhere.
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

Columbus has never been a popular figure in the Southwest U.S. either. Natives down there know the Spanish crossed into what would become the United States at Paseo del Norte (modern day El Paso, TX) long before Columbus set sail.
RPlant
Reactions:

Science is fun once you stop denying it!

You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

RPlant wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:58 pm Science is fun once you stop denying it!
Are you implying that humans crossed during Pangea?
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

As I commented on some local news media's FB page. Until the local media reported that there was a CC statue in LB Park, I bet 80% of Peorians had no clue it was there. Hell, I've been to LB park a few times, saw it from a distance, had no clue to who it was. But now 80% of Peorians are bitching about it. There are other statues or items in Peoria that could be considered offensive, but until someone whines about them and the media picks up on it......shhhhhhhhhh I know nuthing - SGT. Shultz
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
born2race2win1954!
Reactions:
Mood:

I’ve had family in Peoria since before the Civil War - my 2nd Great Grandmother Catcott came here from Ireland and her husband, my 2nd Great Grandfather Catcott, came over from England and fought in an IL Union Army unit In the Civil War. My Aunt and her two sons and their grandchildren/great grandchildren, my sister and I, and my son currently live in Peoria. My point is that my family has been here for several generations. We all believe that all monuments currently here that are in place should remain in place.
You only live once, so, live it with gusto!
Joepyeweed
Reactions:
Mood:

kevwr1962 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:46 pm On a local note.....should we remove the statue of Richard Pryor? Do we leave up a statue of a man who was married 7 times, cheated on his wives, beat women, abused alcohol and cocaine, even setting himself on fire by freebasing, and launched his career by blatantly using the "F" and "N" words and occasionally mocked other ethnic groups ? Is this who we should look up to and emulate? Is he a shining example of Peoria?
If Pryor Had not died, he could be the President.
EastBluffCynic
Reactions:

DennisinMH wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:36 pm . How about that comedian from East Peoria who started out as a preacher, used loud voice as a method to his comedy. His name escapes me for now.
Sam Kinison?