Minimum wage workers cannot afford rent in any U.S. state

AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

A strong work ethic, sacrifice and commitment will raise someone out of poverty.
RPlant
Reactions:

Work shall set you free.

You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
RPlant
Reactions:

Joepyeweed wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:44 pm A book about poverty in America is somehow damming of the current President at the time the book was written because the minute a president takes office he has the power to immediately end poverty but doesn’t?
Reminds me of SNL's "Fix It" skit regarding Bush's failed economy when Obama took office.

#Resistance_is_futile
RPlant
Reactions:

JustRight wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:25 pm
Joepyeweed wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:44 pm A book about poverty in America is somehow damming of the current President at the time the book was written because the minute a president takes office he has the power to immediately end poverty but doesn’t?
No, but I think it points out that Congress has been unable to “do something” about poverty for at least the last 20 years. Longer than that, actually. President Lyndon Johnson declared a “war on poverty” in 1964. 56 years later, we still haven’t won that war. The varies fixes (including raising the minimum wage) have done little to lift people out of poverty.
Well since I largely don't see rag pickers starving in the streets like in India, I'd have to say that there has been some success in the program keeping the worst of it at bay. Want a real fix, how about a Living Wage instead of a "minimum wage" and index it to the same annual adjustment as Social Security.

Obama in Denver '04:
"In Washington, they call this the Ownership Society, but what it really means is, you're on your own. Out of work? Tough luck. No health care? The market will fix it. Born into poverty? Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps - even if you don't have boots. You're on your own."

#Resistance_is_futile
JustRight
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:09 am
JustRight wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:25 pm
No, but I think it points out that Congress has been unable to “do something” about poverty for at least the last 20 years. Longer than that, actually. President Lyndon Johnson declared a “war on poverty” in 1964. 56 years later, we still haven’t won that war. The varies fixes (including raising the minimum wage) have done little to lift people out of poverty.
Well since I largely don't see rag pickers starving in the streets like in India, I'd have to say that there has been some success in the program keeping the worst of it at bay. Want a real fix, how about a Living Wage instead of a "minimum wage" and index it to the same annual adjustment as Social Security.

Obama in Denver '04:
"In Washington, they call this the Ownership Society, but what it really means is, you're on your own. Out of work? Tough luck. No health care? The market will fix it. Born into poverty? Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps - even if you don't have boots. You're on your own."
So, why wasn’t that changed under the 8 years of Obama? Especially in his first term, when Democrats also controlled the House and Senate?
RPlant
Reactions:

Try only 2 years of that first term and there was this little thing called healthcare - which passed BTW. This was the same sword that Clinton fell on in his first term.

#Resistance_is_futile
JustRight
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:43 am Try only 2 years of that first term and there was this little thing called healthcare - which passed BTW. This was the same sword that Clinton fell on in his first term.
Did Obamacare lift anyone out of poverty?
LovelyRita
Reactions:

Yes. Obamacare prevented thousands from drowning in medical bills. More people are insured and able to stay healthy. Fewer people have to change jobs because insurance ran out due to lifetime caps. Thousands are employed because they were actually able to get insurance receive medical treatment and return to the work force.

Have you ever worked?
🌊🌊🌊BLACK LIVES MATTER✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿
LonelyRita
Reactions:

JustRight wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:53 am
RPlant wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:43 am Try only 2 years of that first term and there was this little thing called healthcare - which passed BTW. This was the same sword that Clinton fell on in his first term.
Did Obamacare lift anyone out of poverty?
It drove tens of thousands to no longer have insurance. When "keep your insurance/keep your doctor" didn't work out and people couldn't afford the new policies, and made a bit too much to get assistance, they were fined for not having insurance they couldn't afford. Good plan by the Obama Administration to stick it to the middle class.

You've actually worked, have I?
My life matters!! Wear a damned mask!!!
LovelyRita
Reactions:

Neato.
🌊🌊🌊BLACK LIVES MATTER✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿