U.S. stocks see best quarter since 1998

AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

DennisinMH wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:02 am I got my quarterly statement yesterday. Haven't opened it yet. Kind of afraid too see if I ever gained back what was probably lost this past 3 months.
open it. It's probably down but I bet not nearly as bad as you fear. A lot of March losses have been recouped.
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

DennisinMH wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:02 am I got my quarterly statement yesterday. Haven't opened it yet. Kind of afraid too see if I ever gained back what was probably lost this past 3 months.
Hey, Dennis, I'm not picking at you. I quit letting investment firms manage my money. It seemed like the only way my balance went up was if I put $$ in. I guess it depends on your quarterly started and ended. If it is horribly down, I'd check where it is currently. If it is still somewhat down, you need to have a heart to heart then foot to ass of your investment person. If they were truly trying to make you money, you should be pretty close to where you were. Not to rub any salt in any potential wounds, but I'm actually up for the year.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

My 401k is thru an investment firm who has offices at a local credit union. Problem is, seems I get a new advisor every two years or so. Just got letter a couple months ago introducing the newest advisor. My money is in a mix of stocks and equities both national and globally. Also have a money market fund that I have in case of emergencies.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

kevwr1962 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:43 am
Hey, Dennis, I'm not picking at you. I quit letting investment firms manage my money. It seemed like the only way my balance went up was if I put $$ in. I guess it depends on your quarterly started and ended. If it is horribly down, I'd check where it is currently. If it is still somewhat down, you need to have a heart to heart then foot to ass of your investment person. If they were truly trying to make you money, you should be pretty close to where you were. Not to rub any salt in any potential wounds, but I'm actually up for the year.
I've noticed something simliar. The company my employer uses allows me to move money around and pick investments. I've been investing in high-risk markets for awhile now and it has paid off so far. I am young enough I can take risks :)
Joepyeweed
Reactions:
Mood:

So which is better a high unemployment rate or high Covid death rate?
JustRight
Reactions:

Joepyeweed wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:38 pm So which is better a high unemployment rate or high Covid death rate?
Utah has proven that you don’t need to make that choice:
Second-lowest unemployment rate in the country...8.5% in May.
Total of 173 Covid-19 deaths. Utah’s population is 3.206 Million.
The state of Utah “didn’t shut down the economy completely” at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, [Republican Governor] Herbert said, and despite the continuing surge of cases, “we’re not going to shut it down now.”
JustRight
Reactions:

Lots of GOOD news today!
“U.S. stocks rose Thurs­day af­ter the June em­ploy­ment re­port showed the econ­omy added more jobs than ex­pected, re­as­sur­ing in­vestors that the re­cov­ery is con­tin­u­ing.
The U.S. gained 4.8 mil­lion jobs last month, while the un­em­ploy-ment rate ticked down to 11.1% from 13.3% in May. That marked the sec­ond month in a row that em­ploy­ers added jobs since mas­sive waves of lay­offs gripped the coun­try ear­lier in the coro­n­avirus pan­demic. Both fig­ures beat the ex­pec­ta­tions of econ­o­mists sur­veyed by The Wall Street Jour­nal.
The Dow Jones In­dus­trial Av­er­age climbed about 94 points, or 0.4%, af­ter ear­lier ris­ing nearly 470 points. The S&P 500 was up 0.5%, its fourth day of gains.“

https://www.wsj.com/articles/global-sto ... yURL_share
LovelyRita
Reactions:

Joepyeweed wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:38 pm So which is better a high unemployment rate or high Covid death rate?
Neither. I think the focusing on anything but the pandemic is ridiculous. You can't spend your money when your dead.
🌊🌊🌊BLACK LIVES MATTER✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿
LovelyRita
Reactions:

JustRight wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:09 pm
The state of Utah “didn’t shut down the economy completely” at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, [Republican Governor] Herbert said, and despite the continuing surge of cases, “we’re not going to shut it down now.”

Utah had just been lucky. A virus doesn't care where you're from... Also...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/07/02/ ... id-deaths/
🌊🌊🌊BLACK LIVES MATTER✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿
JustRight
Reactions:

LovelyRita wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:39 am
JustRight wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:09 pm

Utah had just been lucky. A virus doesn't care where you're from... Also...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/07/02/ ... id-deaths/
So, I guess New York was just UNlucky? They locked down about the same time Illinois did, and STILL had more cases, hospitalizations, and deaths than most other states combined. Further, Governor Cuomo’s edict that nursing homes admit patients who were Coronavirus-positive sentenced thousands of other residents to an early, painful death.