Peoria’s 7th homicide of 2021

Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:59 pm So you can't pull together a tracker for that?
A tracker is for real time data, not historic data. Historic data was posted here a week or so ago and shows that this crime wave is unprecedented.
CCubs
Reactions:
Mood:

Your fake trackers are "real time data"?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa.
People don't care how much you know.
They want to know how much you care.
Toldyouso
Reactions:

It looks like somebody at WMBD’s competition has read this thread:

PEORIA (WEEK) -- In the aftermath of Peoria's 20th homicide of 2021, the city is on track for its highest single-year homicide total in over 20 years.

30-year-old Darius Dawson was found early Sunday morning in the 2700 block of West Latrobe, pronounced dead due to several gunshot wounds.

Dawson is Peoria's 20th homicide victim of 2021. At its current pace, Peoria could see 34 homicides this year, which would be the highest single-year total this century. The previous high was 25, set in 2019.

One resident we spoke to Monday says he is worried by the recent trend of violence.

"I feel safe in my home," the resident said. "But I'm not going to be elsewhere and the sun set(s), and I have to get home… Because I may not make it home."

District 2 City Councilman Chuck Grayeb says one potential fix is raising staffing levels among police officers.

"Certainly what we have now is not adequate," Grayeb said of current police staffing levels. "At some point, staffing matters, and we just right now are not able to meet the threat level."

Grayeb says, on a good day, the city has around 200 officers. He wants to see that total increase to at least 220, so that more preemptive action can be taken to prevent future violence.

"How can you do some of the really great preemptive work when you are struggling just to cover the city with call after call after call in the epidemic of gun violence," Grayeb said.

New Peoria Police Chief Eric Echevarria agrees. The new chief was sworn in Friday, and Monday was his first full day on the job. He says one of his top priorities is building relationships and community-based policing.
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

eh, whatever. Every media in town has done a story like this.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
Toldyouso
Reactions:

Day 90 for Mayor Ali, and still no addressing the violence.
However, the new Police Chief did, on his first official day on the job:
“Eric Echevarria officially started his role as the city’s new police chief Monday and agreed the weekend marked a busy start to his new role.

“It’s one too many gunfire incidents in the city of Peoria,” Echevarria said. “It was a busy night, a lot of people are out and about. I think COVID kept people locked up for a while, and I think everybody is super excited to be out, maybe overly excited and not behaving appropriately.”

In addition to being out of the house, he said a number of reasons may have also contributed to the violence over the weekend.

“Unfortunately, we have people who may be under the influence, there may be some mental health issues involved, drugs and the courage may just go up a little bit based on all of that,” Echevarria said. “So, we really need to be out there and taking these guns off the street.”

“We need people to stop shooting, we need people to find different ways to resolve their issues within themselves and not bring guns to the fight,” Echevarria said.

He said the department is going to start looking into strategies to change this dynamic. The city’s new top cop also echoed community leaders and said the resolution to the violence has to be a community effort.

“The community knows who’s pulling the triggers, the community knows where these guns are… people in the community know this,” Echevarria said. “So, we need people to work with us, alongside us, and help us figure out where they’re coming from, who’s committing the crimes.”

“The Peoria residents and community deserve to live peacefully, and we want to be that catalyst for them to cause that peace and reduce crime, and the only way we’re going to be able to do that is to really partner with the community and build those relationships,” Echevarria said.

He said he’s working with other officers to try to attend all the city’s Night Out Against Violence events, Tuesday night, and start building those community relationships.

“I want to meet those who are there and be able to talk with them and make those connections,” Echevarria said.”

It’s a good first step, imo.
RPlant
Reactions:

Would seem like Mayor Ali's hiring of Chief Echevarria is exactly the action Peoria needs at the moment. He technically was hired on June 15th. Mayor Ali was sworn in on May 6th. Also recall that Montelongo didn't concede until May 11th, after his suing of the election board and the recount.

So @Toldyouso's 90 days of inaction quip is total BS!

http://www.peoriagov.org/city-of-peoria ... ice-chief/

The last two Chiefs were career employees of the Department. Enough said.

http://www.peoriagov.org/police-chief-l ... etirement/

http://www.peoriagov.org/police-chief-m ... etirement/
Peoria police chief quits amid allegations of inappropriate behavior
https://www.pantagraph.com/news/state-a ... 09ef4.html
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
Toldyouso
Reactions:

@RPlant
I never accused Mayor Ali of not taking “action”; I have accused her of staying silent instead of publicly condemning the violence. As a Black female in the city’s highest office, she has the unique opportunity (and responsibility) to address the people who are committing these homicides. She has chosen to remain silent instead. Day 91 and counting…
RPlant
Reactions:

Toldyouso wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:06 am @RPlant
I never accused Mayor Ali of not taking “action”; I have accused her of staying silent instead of publicly condemning the violence. As a Black female in the city’s highest office, she has the unique opportunity (and responsibility) to address the people who are committing these homicides. She has chosen to remain silent instead. Day 91 and counting…
Actions speak louder than words.
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
A US Citizen
Reactions:

Watched nightly news, that this lady Mayor did a report on her 1st 100 days. I'm guessin' you can look it up on the web. The story said she got quite a few local folks together to think up ways to stop the bullets from flying. Good luck with that, ma'am. Or maybe she sat with the new chief of police, figured some things out, and he's putting cops and others from sitting around at Dunkin into action.

I don't know this lady, just know she won, is in office, hope she does what Peoria wants her to do, that's all I'm saying. I'm a US Citizen, but not a Peoria citizen. Just a Tri-County one.
Tazewell
Reactions:

The mayor must be doing something. Maybe misadjusting the sights on all the guns in town?

https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... s-station/
Police are reporting two people were shot at a Peoria gas station early Thursday morning.

According to Spokeswoman Amy Dotson, officers were called to the Marathon Gas Station on Forrest Hill for reports of a man who was shot.

After arriving on scene, officers found a victim in the parking lot with a gunshot wound to the arm.

Dispatch advised that a second victim from that shooting arrived at a local hospital from a private vehicle.

Both injuries are not considered life threatening.
https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... ot-wounds/
Just after 12:30 a.m., Peoria Police responded to ShotSpotter alerts in the area of W. Krause.

When officers arrived to the area, they found two men on W. Trewyn Ave. who suffered gunshot wounds.

One victim was shot in the arm and leg, the other in the back.

At this time, police say the injuries are not life-threatening.
Last edited by Tazewell on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.