NY Times article on Peoria

cjsummers
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:

WMBD News Story on NY Times Article

From the article:
WMBD spoke to Mayor Jim Ardis, he said that The New York Times did not reach out to him for comment....

Mayor Ardis, not fond of the exposure responds. He said, “…This situation that they talk about in Peoria could be any community across the country that experience those things.

Mayor Ardis said he is focusing on dissecting the underlying tension within the community and fixing issues related to racial justice and equality.
Doesn't sound like the NY Times was very balanced if they didn't even try to talk to the current mayor of the city, but did talk to one of his opponents.
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

@cjsummers Not to defend the Times, their article, and their lack of reaching out to Ardis, but...........

Hasn't Peoria been listed as one of the top five worst place in America for African-Americans for the last three years? How long does "focusing on dissecting the underlying tension within the community and fixing issues related to racial justice and equality" take? Five years? Ten? Next Tuesday at 6:00PM? <sneeze>bullshit<sneeze>
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
cjsummers
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:

@kevwr1962: Yeah, I wasn't commenting on what he said per se, just that the Times article didn't even interview him. Seems like shoddy reporting to me.

What do you think is the answer for Peoria? What should Ardis/City Council/County Board be doing? (That's a sincere question, btw, not a sarcastic one. I know it's hard to tell sometimes on the Internet.)
LovelyRita
Reactions:

I enjoyed the different perspectives presented in the article. Ardis is a lame duck and has been out of touch for a long time. Chama is a wonderful candidate. It's awesome to see a young Black woman working hard for her community. She should be encouraged. Peoria needs some new blood at the top.
🌊🌊🌊BLACK LIVES MATTER✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

LovelyRita wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:48 am I enjoyed the different perspectives presented in the article. Ardis is a lame duck and has been out of touch for a long time. Chama is a wonderful candidate. It's awesome to see a young Black woman working hard for her community. She should be encouraged. Peoria needs some new blood at the top.
Well, we agree about Ardis. I've just have read too many things that St. Louis has posted on area FB pages, etc. and she has almost seemed hostile at time. I hope that is not how she would act if she were mayor. I will not disagree that there is definite racial divide in Peoria, but I don't think she is the person to fix it. Andy Diaz for mayor.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

LovelyRita wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:48 am I enjoyed the different perspectives presented in the article. Ardis is a lame duck and has been out of touch for a long time. Chama is a wonderful candidate. It's awesome to see a young Black woman working hard for her community. She should be encouraged. Peoria needs some new blood at the top.
@LovelyRita
With as bad as Donald Trump is, do you think we need any more divisive leaders anywhere in this country? Chama claimed damaging public property in the Village of Peoria Heights was the "right way" to start off a holiday. As I said, she is toxic.

LovelyRita
Reactions:

I think Chama is great. She has sparked passion in the young people of the community. That's pretty scary for some people.
Tazewell
Reactions:

LovelyRita wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:26 amShe has sparked passion in the young people of the community.
So did a lot of the most infamous dictators and charlatans throughout history. I don't think the passion of one's followers is a good measure of whether or not that person is a good leader.
Last edited by Tazewell on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LovelyRita
Reactions:

None the less, she has the attention of POC in Peoria. I hope her candidacy encourages more voter participation.
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

"I hope her candidacy encourages more voter participation."

Me, too. To keep her out of office. Diaz for mayor.

If I could have my choice of anyone for mayor it would be Andre Allen. He was definitely the most well versed candidate for the most recent city council election and had a plan, on paper, that he was more than happy to discuss with anyone. He had some great ideas and THAT is what we need for leadership in this city.