U.S. stocks see best quarter since 1998

kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

Joepyeweed wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:30 pm Bragging about record gains in the stock market while the unemployment rate is approaching 15% is a “let them eat cake” statement. The pitchforks come next.
I hate to say this but that unemployment figure will drop once the $600/wk unemployment check goes by the wayside. There are all sorts of service jobs out there, I see owners, managers, etc. posting several a day on FB. Minimum wage goes up a $1/hr today so hopefully that will help some out. But the smart people would forego that $600/wk and hit up some of these places that are currently offering 40 hour weeks, paid days off, sick time, insurance, etc. I know some LOCAL, not even corporate, that are offering this. But people will live on the $600 a week until forced to work at McDonalds (or such) then only get part time, receive no benefits, and complain about how bad things suck.
Not sorry about bragging about the market doing well. Almost 20 years ago, I was unemployed, borrowing money to cover all my living expenses, and was almost $20K in debt. I had wiped out all of my savings and sold off a lot of items of value. Had to learn some hard lessons about money. It has been a full time job and either a side job or self employment gig every since to get out of that debt and put money back for retirement every since. So if that sounds like I'm some rich investor telling people to "eat cake"... Maybe it should be an example as it can be done.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
Joepyeweed
Reactions:
Mood:

JustRight wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 am
Joepyeweed wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:30 pm Bragging about record gains in the stock market while the unemployment rate is approaching 15% is a “let them eat cake” statement. The pitchforks come next.
I’ve been off PeoriaDotCom for a while. I guess I missed it when you were bragging about record-low unemployment.
So because we had record low unemployment, The more recent dichotomy between stock market gains and the current record high unemployment is not a worth mentioning?
bn13814
Reactions:

Joepyeweed wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:53 pm It’s typical to have record gains right after record losses.
Like in those several months after TARP was passed in October 2008 and the Fed's Quantitative Easing policy was implemented in November.
JustRight
Reactions:

Joepyeweed wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:11 pm
JustRight wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 am
I’ve been off PeoriaDotCom for a while. I guess I missed it when you were bragging about record-low unemployment.
So because we had record low unemployment, The more recent dichotomy between stock market gains and the current record high unemployment is not a worth mentioning?
You’re right. It’s worth discussing how the Democratic governors and mayors managed to undo record unemployment by shutting down their states and cities. Nevada, Hawaii, New York, New Jersey, California, Michigan, and Illinois currently have the highest levels of unemployment. But, that doesn’t diminish the fact that publicly-traded companies are resilient enough that their stocks are climbing to record levels.
I’d be happy to discuss this further if you start a separate thread on unemployment.
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

"It’s worth discussing how the Democratic governors and mayors managed to undo record unemployment by shutting down their states and cities. Nevada, Hawaii, New York, New Jersey, California, Michigan, and Illinois currently have the highest levels of unemployment."

So, no States under GOP governors saw their unemployment figures go up? No GOP run states shut down their states at all to stop the spread? Interesting.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
JustRight
Reactions:

DennisinMH wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:31 pm "It’s worth discussing how the Democratic governors and mayors managed to undo record unemployment by shutting down their states and cities. Nevada, Hawaii, New York, New Jersey, California, Michigan, and Illinois currently have the highest levels of unemployment."

So, no States under GOP governors saw their unemployment figures go up? No GOP run states shut down their states at all to stop the spread? Interesting.
The ten states with the highest levels of unemployment (15.1%- 25.3%) are governed by Democrats.
The five states with the lowest unemployment rates (under 9%) are governed by Republicans.
Illinois’ neighboring states of Iowa, Indiana, and Missouri (all governed by Republicans) have lower unemployment rates than Illinois.
The Republican-run states had fewer and shorter shutdowns.
https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

I'm sick of both.
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

JustRight wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:40 pm

The ten states with the highest levels of unemployment (15.1%- 25.3%) are governed by Democrats.
The five states with the lowest unemployment rates (under 9%) are governed by Republicans.
Is this really news to anyone. I mean if you don't know it by now, you're either living under a rock or a mouth breathing moron.
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

AV8R wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:33 pm
JustRight wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:40 pm

Is this really news to anyone. I mean if you don't know it by now, you're either living under a rock or a mouth breathing moron.
What do you expect from a state that has a city where it is apparently OK to have a bunch of dickheads going around shooting kids? At the rate they are going, the CV-19 numbers will plummet as there will be no one left to contract it as they all will be dead.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

I got my quarterly statement yesterday. Haven't opened it yet. Kind of afraid too see if I ever gained back what was probably lost this past 3 months.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?