Cataract time

DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

I suppose I would get them a little later in life. I guess not.

I had an eye doctor appointment yesterday, not only for an eye exam, but also an eye check for diabetes. My last exam and new glasses, was about 2.5 years ago. (Went to a local eyeglass chain then)

This opthalmologist didn't beat around the bush. He said not to waste money on new glasses, as I have cataracts in both eyes. So we have a recommendation on a cataract surgeon in Bloomington. One local doctor is leaving Peoria soon, and he didn't recommend the one in Pekin. Wife and I looked at other local doctors, will talk to the one I visited yesterday about them. And find out what the health insurance will cover if done in Bloomington.

Obviously no one likes to face surgery, especially if it involves the eyes. Anyone else here had cataracts removed, what was the experience like?
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

My ophthalmologist says I will be getting that surgery sooner rather than later. That will be my first time. My mother had them done I believe twice, the last time in her late 80s. She was in and out and experienced an improvement in vision within 24 hours. Don’t worry about it.
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

Both of my parents have had both eyes done. Dad had a detached retina repaired six months earlier, had the cataract surgery and 4 days later the stubborn (then) 87 year old went and took his drivers test, visual and driving, and passed first attempt.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
born2race2win1954!
Reactions:
Mood:

Dennis: My son and I both had cataract surgery for both of our eyes out at the IL Eye Center in Peoria. Our doctor was Yanni Kolettis. He is wonderful. My son Ryan is in the autistic realm and very nervous. Dr. Kolettis made him feel at ease. I highly recommend him.
You only live once, so, live it with gusto!
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Turns out my cataract condition is borderline. I don't have to have it done immediately. I can wait until Spring unless I notice worsening vision. The opthalmologist gave me the option to have him recheck my eyes in 3 months.

The reason the he recommended the Bloomington surgeon is because I am diabetic and I have higher power progressive lenses, and no one in Peoria has that experience, I guess.
My wife contacted that Bloomington surgeon, and we're looking at 7 weeks before a consultation, and another 7 weeks before surgery anyway.

Waiting until March might lead to having a new surgeon landing in Peoria to handle my particular case. Otherwise, my wife will have paid time off to run me back and forth to Bloomington, and not worry about driving in potential winter weather.

I appreciate everyone's stories and comments here!
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?