Not a good start to my day

DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Heading down LaSalle in MH towards It 29 at 3 am to WMBD, suddenly the engine light on my 2017 Encore pops on, and engine dies. I pull over, try to restart. No good, battery is turning over, but sounded like not getting gas. No other indicators or warning lights. Emergency call to wife, who was half asleep,. getting ready to get up for her 5 am work shift. Called the station, let them know I'd be late. Called police for help in getting the SUV off the road to a side parking area. Called for tow truck.

Wife decided to have me take her to work, then go to WMBD. And I could use her car for Jason's deliveries. I look under hood, antifreeze looked good, no fluid leaks anywhere. Just as tow truck arrived, I got in to turn on power to roll up windows. And it started!! Nevertheless, still had it towed, because it's still under warranty. Got it in late January, has 34k miles.

Wife wondering if some kind of computer error caused a valve to not open. Got email from OnStar indicating an engine or transmission problem. Well duh! Hope to have an answer after 9 am.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

A computer module went bad, Has to be overnighted. So wife and I will be headed to Uftring in Washington after she gets off work, hope they have a loaner. Jason's said I wasn't needed, so I am on call.
F**k these insane trackers, this place is not a healthy debate of issues anymore, just a bunch of folks trying to outdo one another. Where is the cancel account button?
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

glad they found the cause. when you said you got it started I half expected to hear something along the lines of "we couldn't duplicate the problem."
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Engine control module went bad. Apparently when it comes to electronic parts in cars, there's no knowledge of shelf life. While here, had them install, program a new key FOB for our 2013 Malibu. It's not keyless like the Buick. But the buttons for trunk and remote start had started to fall out. I don't drive the Malibu that much,, but have it attached to the Buick key.
Oscar Leroy
Reactions:

Good thing it's under warranty. ECMs are pricey. Car trouble sucks. Even if you don't have to pay for it. It's such an inconvenience.
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

@Whit

This start to a bad day...and continued for a week and beyond.

After picking up the Encore last Friday, I drive it home with no issues. Saturday came, filled up gas tank. Didn't notice anything unusual, but got an email from OnStar about an emissions issue. Check car, sure enough, engine light back on. I took it back to Uftring before they closed at noon, at least to get the code and clear it. Code had something to do with the catalytic converter. Service tech wondered if the new Engine Control Module may have tripped something. Engine light stayed off for about an hour, came back on.
Called Monday morning, made appointment for Tuesday after work, since I knew I'd be working later than 2 pm at the deli on Monday.

Dropped off car, got another Chevy Trax loaner car for wife. Wednesday, got call that the catalytic converter went bad due to the previous ECM going bad. And it would be a week before a new part comes in, as there were none anywhere in stock. But they said it was safe to drive if I didn't mind the engine being on. It gets better.

After leaving Uftring, stopped at Walmart for a couple things. Left Walmart, drove around building on access road; to back of Walmart; and car sputtered and died. Would not start again, just like last Thursday. It takes a lot to make me angry. I was furious. I called Uftring, unloading on anyone I talked to. Mostly because it was after 5 pm, and the loaner car lady leaves at 4, and supposed all keys are locked up. Talked to sales manager, then service manager, explained that I've bought cars from them since 2007, and they need to help me out. We needed two cars due to work schedules. My anger apparently got through..Service manager picked me up, took me back had another guy do the paperwork and got me keys to another Chevy Trax. They arranged to have car towed to their garage.

Service manager was aware of the ECM issue, saying he thought the service tech put in two of them. He wondered why the new ECM failed. I thanked him for his help, apologized for my anger, which he understood, and we bumped elbows as I left, lol. So now wife and I will wait until new part arrives, hopefully by next Thursday. Wife is ok with a Trax, but not thrilled with driving it. At least it's in a parking lot for 8 hours instead of being used for deliveries.

Thanks for letting me rant and rave.
Last edited by DennisinMH on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
CCubs
Reactions:
Mood:

Car troubles are the worst.
People don't care how much you know.
They want to know how much you care.
DennisinMH
Well Known (WAP+)
Well Known (WAP+)
Reactions:
Mood:

Update: found out my Encore had a bad ignition coil. That caused engine to die on me at Walmart. But still needs new catalytic converter. And Uftring has no clue when that will come in. Because of the Pandemic, parts manufacturing is not up to normal output yet.
Whit
Reactions:
Mood:

DennisinMH wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:17 am Update: found out my Encore had a bad ignition coil. That caused engine to die on me at Walmart. But still needs new catalytic converter. And Uftring has no clue when that will come in. Because of the Pandemic, parts manufacturing is not up to normal output yet.
I feel your pain. Receiving parts in a decent time frame during this election infection is very difficult. You're in good hands at Uftring!