Sad way to start 2023

DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

1st homicide of year in this area. Happened in West Peoria so Peoria County Sheriff's department is investigating.

Even though January is 9 days from ending, any homicide anytime, anywhere is saddening. The victim was from Decatur.

https://www.25newsnow.com/2023/01/22/in ... st-peoria/

https://www.wcbu.org/local-news/2023-01 ... a-homicide
Toldyouso
Reactions:

Peoria’s latest homicide victim was stabbed, not shot.
https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... -homicide/

I’m not sure, but I think this is the second (of 4?) homicide of the year that was the result of a stabbing, not a shooting.
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Toldyouso wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:17 pm Peoria’s latest homicide victim was stabbed, not shot.
https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... -homicide/

I’m not sure, but I think this is the second (of 4?) homicide of the year that was the result of a stabbing, not a shooting.
You are correct, this homicide is due to stabbing. However, some FB posts claimed the female suspect was being abused. We'll have to wait and see what the SA discovers.
This is the 5th Peoria City homicide in Peoria, 2 by shooting, 2 by stabbing, 1 by blunt force trauma and drowning. Peoria County has 2 homicides, which sounds unusual for them.

1 homicide anywhere is 1 homicide too many.
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:14 am This is the 5th Peoria City homicide in Peoria
And how many near homicides? 10? 15? 20?
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:23 am
DennisinPeoria wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:14 am This is the 5th Peoria City homicide in Peoria
No way of finding that out, since most shooting victims are listed as either non-life threatening or serious. After they are treated/released or recover in a hospital, don't hear any more about them until the trial. Which could be months away, longer if it's a homicide

Still, too many shootings going on, but according to Chief Echevarria in a presentation on Friday, violence has trended down since last 2 years. But Peoria police would like 0 homicides and 0 shootings. Is that realistic? Of course not. The community, police nor government officials will never be able to stop a stabbing, shooting or a homicide in a domestic situation.
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:16 pm
No way of finding that out
Sure there is. Go through the WMBD archives for this year and count the number of shootings, stabbings, and armed robberies. Any of those could have easily been a homicide.

I haven't heard a peep from your good friend Rita for months. Is she still in office?
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:19 pm
DennisinPeoria wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:16 pm

No way of finding that out
Sure there is. Go through the WMBD archives for this year and count the number of shootings, stabbings, and armed robberies. Any of those could have easily been a homicide.

I haven't heard a peep from your good friend Rita for months. Is she still in office?
A near homicide is still not a homicide. Still a tragic incident. I don't see how armed robbery is considered a near homicide, if no one was shot during the robbery.

Apparently you didn't see this story from Friday. Mayor Rita Ali and her Safety Net team are going door to door in hot crime spots in June to canvass residents on what's needed to reduce crime, and offer resources to help them and their neighborhood.

https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... urb-crime/
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:30 pm A near homicide is still not a homicide.
I look at them as the same when it comes to assessing the level of violent crime. Just because criminals have poor aim, doesn't mean Peoria is any safer.
DennisinPeoria wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:30 pm I don't see how armed robbery is considered a near homicide, if no one was shot during the robbery.
You can't see how someone using a deadly weapon during a robbery could easily escalate into a homicide?
DennisinPeoria wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:30 pm Apparently you didn't see this story from Friday. Mayor Rita Ali and her Safety Net team are going door to door in hot crime spots in June to canvass residents on what's needed to reduce crime, and offer resources to help them and their neighborhood.
Apparently I didn't see that. Edit: It looks like it wasn't posted to the Facebook page. I guess that's why I didn't see it.

Safety Net team? LOL. Does she really think this is going to fix anything? Why is she waiting until June?

If she was going to these neighborhoods to personally call out the people causing this mess, I would give her a lot of credit, but that's not what she's going to do.
DennisinPeoria
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:41 pm
DennisinPeoria wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:30 pm A near homicide is still not a homicide.
I look at them as the same when it comes to assessing the level of violent crime. Just because criminals have poor aim, doesn't mean Peoria is any safer.
DennisinPeoria wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:30 pm I don't see how armed robbery is considered a near homicide, if no one was shot during the robbery.
You can't see how someone using a deadly weapon during a robbery could easily escalate into a homicide?
DennisinPeoria wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:30 pm Apparently you didn't see this story from Friday. Mayor Rita Ali and her Safety Net team are going door to door in hot crime spots in June to canvass residents on what's needed to reduce crime, and offer resources to help them and their neighborhood.
Apparently I didn't see that. Edit: It looks like it wasn't posted to the Facebook page. I guess that's why I didn't see it.

Safety Net team? LOL. Does she really think this is going to fix anything? Why is she waiting until June?

If she was going to these neighborhoods to personally call out the people causing this mess, I would give her a lot of credit, but that's not what she's going to do.
Yes, I agree an armed robbery could escalate to homicide. I don't remember the last time it happened in Peoria, do you?

It takes time to organize these visits, since all of the Safety Net team have FT jobs. They are volunteering to go out, and I'm sure Mayor Ali will be among them.

What specific way do you want her to "call out" the people causing the mess? Are you're wanting her and the team to ask residents if they are part of the violence, if they have illegal guns in the house? Or what's your idea, I'm curious.

Otherwise, have a good rest of the week.
Tazewell
Reactions:

DennisinPeoria wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:57 pm [quote=Tazewell post_id=49552 time=1684258885
Yes, I agree an armed robbery could escalate to homicide. I don't remember the last time it happened in Peoria, do you?
I don't keep track of the motive behind every murder. Some could be robberies and we probably wouldn't know it. Either way, in my opinion, an armed robbery ranks right up there with murder or attempted murder.

DennisinPeoria wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:57 pm It takes time to organize these visits, since all of the Safety Net team have FT jobs. They are volunteering to go out, and I'm sure Mayor Ali will be among them.
Yes. I'm sure that's the issue. :roll:
DennisinPeoria wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:57 pm What specific way do you want her to "call out" the people causing the mess? Are you're wanting her and the team to ask residents if they are part of the violence, if they have illegal guns in the house? Or what's your idea, I'm curious.
I thought I had made this clear before. From the beginning, she should have been on the news and in the streets publicly, and forcefully, calling these people out. She has a unique opportunity that previous mayors haven't had.
DennisinPeoria wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:57 pm Otherwise, have a good rest of the week.
Why do you do that? Ask a bunch of questions, then slink out of the discussion.