Complete Streets in Peoria

Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:31 pm What does 28 years of Inflation do to the buying power of a $0.19 a gallon Federal Gas Tax when oil has gone from $30 a barrel to $90 (sans the pandemic fluctuations)!?! Come on @Tazewell you know more about the time value of money than that.
You didn't answer my question.
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:32 pm
RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:31 pm What does 28 years of Inflation do to the buying power of a $0.19 a gallon Federal Gas Tax when oil has gone from $30 a barrel to $90 (sans the pandemic fluctuations)!?! Come on @Tazewell you know more about the time value of money than that.
You didn't answer my question.
Overspending is your accusation. I just demonstrated that it has been a declining revenue source for 28+ years.

Please tell us more tales of how you can spin gold from straw.
You mean its not the flu!?!

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:39 pm Overspending is your accusation. I just demonstrated that it has been a declining revenue source for 28+ years.

I only asked YOUR OPINION on whether overspending was a problem. The fact that you will not answer that leads me to believe that there is a problem, you just don't want to admit it.
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:41 pm
RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:39 pm Overspending is your accusation. I just demonstrated that it has been a declining revenue source for 28+ years.

I only asked YOUR OPINION on whether overspending was a problem. The fact that you will not answer that leads me to believe that there is a problem, you just don't want to admit it.
Seriously, how could you possibly infer that is my opinion? Overspending is not a problem in a fund that has CONSTRICTED by 2/3 due to inflation. Underinvesting in our infrastructure is and has been for some time now.

But I suppose some corporation needs another tax cut or public handout, so they can more easily ship more manufacturing jobs to China or offshore their profits.

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:04 pm Seriously, how could you possibly infer that is my opinion? Overspending is not a problem in a fund that has CONSTRICTED by 2/3 due to inflation. Underinvesting in our infrastructure is and has been for some time now.
So EVERY project that bureaucrats and planners dream up is a necessity and NEVER is a dime wasted?
RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:04 pm But I suppose some corporation needs another tax cut or public handout, so they can more easily ship more manufacturing jobs to China or offshore their profits.
I am not sure what this has to do with the discussion at hand.
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:09 pm
RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:04 pm Seriously, how could you possibly infer that is my opinion? Overspending is not a problem in a fund that has CONSTRICTED by 2/3 due to inflation. Underinvesting in our infrastructure is and has been for some time now.
So EVERY project that bureaucrats and planners dream up is a necessity and NEVER is a dime wasted?
RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:04 pm But I suppose some corporation needs another tax cut or public handout, so they can more easily ship more manufacturing jobs to China or offshore their profits.
I am not sure what this has to do with the discussion at hand.
Without examples, your accusations are called rhetoric. My point is we seem to be able to extend tax cuts to corporations who are not reinvesting in the United States, but gosh forbid we might invest in infrastructure with a simple inflationary hike in an existing tax.

I believe earmarks were estimated at less than 5% back when Bush Jr shot down a gas tax bump after the I-35W bridge collapse. Pretty clear yours is a straw man argument against the 67% reduction in spending power the Federal Gas has experienced since it was last raised in 1992!

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:27 pm Without examples, your accusations are called rhetoric.
You still can't answer the question.
RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:27 pm My point is we seem to be able to extend tax cuts to corporations who are not reinvesting in the United States, but gosh forbid we might invest in infrastructure with a simple inflationary hike in an existing tax.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:27 pm I believe earmarks were estimated at less than 5% back when Bush Jr shot down a gas tax bump after the I-35W bridge collapse. Pretty clear yours is a straw man argument against the 67% reduction in spending power the Federal Gas has experienced since it was last raised in 1992!
It has been a year and a half since the IL gas tax went up. We should be seeing the fruits of that increase any day now, right?
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:31 pm It has been a year and a half since the IL gas tax went up. We should be seeing the fruits of that increase any day now, right?
Wow dude, get out of the basement much this year? New bridge deck on the Murray Baker, I-74 overlays from Goodfield to Bloomington, I-74 from Peoria to Brimfield, ...

#Resistance_is_futile
Tazewell
Reactions:

RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:39 pm Wow dude, get out of the basement much this year? New bridge deck on the Murray Baker, I-74 overlays from Goodfield to Bloomington, I-74 from Peoria to Brimfield, ...
Those projects wouldn't have been done without a tax increase?
RPlant
Reactions:

Tazewell wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:32 pm
RPlant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:39 pm Wow dude, get out of the basement much this year? New bridge deck on the Murray Baker, I-74 overlays from Goodfield to Bloomington, I-74 from Peoria to Brimfield, ...
Those projects wouldn't have been done without a tax increase?
You know they were advanced in the queue because of the state funding increase. As a result, the overall system's PCI is increasing rather than backsliding.

#Resistance_is_futile