Fall School

LovelyRita
Reactions:

It's been interesting to see the plans school districts are making for the 20-21 school year. However, I can't see how it will we possible to have in person attendance given the increasing numbers. What will you do with your kids this fall?
🌊🌊🌊BLACK LIVES MATTER✊🏻✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿
kevwr1962
Reactions:
Mood:

As someone who is closely associated with the district, and from what I've been told, they at least need to have the students check in physically to school maybe once a week. The students seemed to get less and less engaged this spring. I know that probably had some to do with the school year coming to an end coupled with the fact that doing nothing wouldn't affect your grade. I know some teachers who heard NOTHING from a few students once everything went to "at home learning". Teachers, principals, SROs, counselors, etc. were calling, e-mailing, texting, and making home visits trying to locate the missing/non attending students. Some were working full time, some went on vacation/visiting family out of state, some just didn't give a hoot and were doing nothing.
Why do I feel some sort of ridiculous retort will occur in 3.........2........1...........
LovelyRita
Reactions:

Social workers and counselors should be doing home visits for those students who haven't had an online presence. Are school districts working to make sure families have internet access for the fall? Perhaps meeting in small groups at neighborhood libraries would work better.

Who will disinfect the bushes? Are extra staff being hired to sanitize overnight? What about special. Ed students? The notion that we'll be back to anything like normal school is laughable.
SNMehr
Reactions:

LovelyRita posted: "Perhaps meeting in small groups at neighborhood libraries would work better." Per your previous post, you seemed concerned schools would not be sanitized quickly enough to prevent the spread of the virus. Why do you think it could be done more efficiently at neighborhood libraries? Wouldn't that pose equal or greater problems with community members who want to use these facilities? Or would they not be permitted the use of the facilities during school hours? And who would be responsible for extra sanitation work? The librarians? I'm not comfortable with this solution, either.
Pock
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

LovelyRita wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:51 am It's been interesting to see the plans school districts are making for the 20-21 school year. However, I can't see how it will we possible to have in person attendance given the increasing numbers. What will you do with your kids this fall?
Peoria Heights is leaning towards in person classes in the fall. They will probably require masks.
LovelyRita
Reactions:

SNMehr wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:20 pm LovelyRita posted: "Perhaps meeting in small groups at neighborhood libraries would work better." Per your previous post, you seemed concerned schools would not be sanitized quickly enough to prevent the spread of the virus. Why do you think it could be done more efficiently at neighborhood libraries? Wouldn't that pose equal or greater problems with community members who want to use these facilities? Or would they not be permitted the use of the facilities during school hours? And who would be responsible for extra sanitation work? The librarians? I'm not comfortable with this solution, either.
I don't think schools can be kept clean enough to prevent further spreading at all.

Meeting in smaller groups closer to students' homes means no transportation issues (transportation is usually the biggest expense in any district). It would be quite easy to maintain a single space such as a meeting room rather than an entire school and all busses. Not all students would require time with the teacher, but those who do would have that available without having to send students into buildings with hundreds of bodies gathered for hours.
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

social workers and counselors will be busy enough responding to domestic violence calls and neighbor disputes once the police are gone. They're not going to have time for truancy issues.
LovelyRita
Reactions:

AV8R wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:29 pm social workers and counselors will be busy enough responding to domestic violence calls and neighbor disputes once the police are gone. They're not going to have time for truancy issues.
Do you have any ideas for keeping students safe this fall? Or are you trying to start another topic?
AV8R
Old PDC Guard
Old PDC Guard
Reactions:
Mood:

I was responding to your comment about social workers and counselors, so it seemed to be on topic.
LovelyRita
Reactions:

School social workers won't be responding to domestic violence calls. It's odd you think that's what they do.